Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:27 AM   #11

Well, I am certainly hoping that this new camera is everything it is hyped to be, because I could see us buying a second body. However, reading through the entire thread Roland (whom I do not know) states that his spec sheet is a compliation of hints and posts he has read on other forums and the PDML mailing list and says he has not seen the camera nor does he have any inside information. Unless he is sandbagging, I would have to consider this information less than authoritative. But I am hoping it is everything it is rumored to be.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:40 AM   #12

I'm loving all this hype about the new camera. I can't wait for the specs to be released and then people will start either saying all the rumours were right, or how could those cruel people get our hopes up like that!

I personally think it is going to be a fantastic camera. I have a lot of faith in Pentax and even if the camera doesn't have all the said features, I'll probably still buy it.
Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:26 AM   #13

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Roland Mabo is a regular contributor on dpreview and has always had a great deal of inside information on new Pentax cameras and has historically been correct on most of his information. If Roland says the camera will have something it usually will have that feature, so I would not discount his word if I were you.
Roland is actually just a new poster at Dpreview not long time ago. He first participated in Usenet newsgroups in the 90s and then at PDML. After that he went to the PhotoZone where he has been the true regular poster there and it was where we actually met a lot since the 1999/2000 when the PhotoZone forums was born. I did come across Roland for a few time in the usenet in the 90s but I do not recall if I had a direct dialogue with him then.

I have known Roland for more than six years by now and that I can say that I know him quite well. Actually, I think we are good friends personally and have some regular contacts from time to time. What makes our friendly very valuable as since I got my *ist D, we have our own very different opinions about Pentax gear or even Pentax.

From my best memory, and as non-scientific records, I can tell you that what Roland told would become true for more than 99% of the time. Thus, the hit rate is extremely high. That's why I called him the Pentax Prophet in the OT! :-)

Well, for anyone who first heard of Mr. Roland Mabo, just believe me or not!

Quote:
Just because the D200 does not have some feature (internal SR) why is it not possible for some other camera to have it? My DS has less noise at high ISO than my friends D200 and that is an older technology than the D200, so I am not sure why that camera is the holy grail of camera technology.
That's just a pricing and marketing strategy of a camera maker. Just look at the D80 and its feature is not worse than the D200 and there are also some improvements in certain performance aspects, e.g. noise processing at higher ISOs.

Quote:
Since you are only speculating and Roland knows people with the K10D already in hand, I would take his word over your speculation any day.
Everyone except insider who knows Pentax are now speculating. But those insiders are not allowed to tell anything before the embargo, proably at Photokina on 9.26, as they must have signed some kind of non-disclosure agreement with Pentax. But it seems that Roland is not one of those insiders but he still has the channel to know these things.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:33 AM   #14

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Ahh, but that was from the 1980's.

The Nikon D200 was announced only back in November 2005 and cost £2299.99 / €3435 (kit).

It has a magnesium alloybodywith weather sealingsand12 bit image processing. :roll:

So one year later youcan get all those in a kitfor 1000 USD? :idea:Wow, technology has certainly leapedespecially with Pentax too.
And here I thought is was you that brought up the D200 having features that you felt that "especially Pentax" could not possibly surpass. I then mentioned features that Pentax already has that the D200 does not!

We are all only speculating about the features to be announced in a couple of weeks, and I personally don't see why Pentax could not put out a camera at least a capable as the D200 for much less money.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:46 AM   #15

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Ahh, but that was from the 1980's.

The Nikon D200 was announced only back in November 2005 and cost £2299.99 / €3435 (kit).

It has a magnesium alloy body with weather sealings and 12 bit image processing. :roll:

So one year later you can get all those in a kit for 1000 USD? :idea: Wow, technology has certainly leaped especially with Pentax too.
And here I thought is was you that brought up the D200 having features that you felt that "especially Pentax" could not possibly surpass. I then mentioned features that Pentax already has that the D200 does not!

We are all only speculating about the features to be announced in a couple of weeks, and I personally don't see why Pentax could not put out a camera at least a capable as the D200 for much less money.

Tom
Your last comparison for noise levels between *ist DS and D200 at higher ISO is not a fair one, IMHO. Just because the physical sizes of a pixel between a 6M and a 10M DSLR which both has the same APS-C imager area are not comparable. Thus, for the same technology used, a higher pixel count will result in more noise.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Code:

Tom
My main point was;

I could hardly believe the Pentax K10D can have D200 like features for 1000 USDespecially withthe all metal body and weather sealing etc...What about the 22 bit image processing algorithm?

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:37 AM   #17

I don't really care if the D200 is handicapped by its sensor, it still has MUCH more noise at high ISO than my DS and that is all that counts. I find it hard to understand why that is an unfair comparison, since it is a fact.

The K100D has features that the D50 doesn't have and it is much less expensive than the Nikon, so why wouldn't Pentax be able to undercut the inflated price of the D200 with a camera with equal features if you don't count built in SR.

Pentax is and always has been a major camera manufacturer and has always had great cameras and lenses. It is not just Canon and Nikon that are capable of new and innovative technology, that is just a misconception on the part of most people.

Tom
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:40 AM   #18

10.2Mp APS-C sized sensor
Hardware noise-killing processing
Dust removal function
3 fps JPEG streaming
RAW + JPEG possible
22 bit image processing and built-in RAW-JPEG converter (SilkyPix algorithms?)
SDHC compatible card slot
Li Ion battery pack, AA batteries also possible
Li Ion battery/hand grip, AA batteries possible
Dust and weather sealed body and battery/hand grip
Full metal body
KAF3 lens mount with USM motors support
New DA 16-50 f/2.8 AL ED and 50-135 f/2.8 ED with USM motors.
Interchangeable focusing screens
Pentaprism viewfinder
11 point AF with 9 cross sensor points (same layout as the current bodies).
+ many other neat things.

Wow, I would like to see an upgrade path for Pentax, even though I honestly am not likely to take it for a couple of more years. By then these specs may indeed bee available at the $1000 mark. The only expensive points mentioned here are the all metal weather sealed body and the super high processing power, everything else sounds possible at this price point. Guess I will have to wait and see.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:43 AM   #19

We will all know in a week and a half.

Tom
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:19 PM   #20

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Guess I will have to wait and see.
This is the only thing said in this thread that we can be certain of.:-)

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote