Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:52 PM   #1

I have had a love affair with Greyhounds for decades, and retired racers make the most wonderful pets. Whilst not the best of phots, from a purely photographic point of view, it captures their grace when in motion perfectly.

DA 50-200mm iso 400. This really is a great little lens.

Dom
Attached Images

dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 2:07 PM   #2

It is cool the way you have him freeze framed "floating" off the ground.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:43 PM   #3

my sister has had 2. both very sweet dogs.

i ran this thru noise ninja. what do you think?
resized also.

roy
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:09 PM   #4

Definitely an improvement. I don't have noise ninja, and I'm still feeling my way around PSE4 and lightroom. In truth if the image is in need of major work once it leaves the card from the camera it probablywon't get to see the light of day elsewhere. But like most bits of software practice will eventually yield their little secrets.

Dom
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:03 PM   #5

That's a great shot! I also have retired racer. I have alway wanted to get a photo of her racing the neighbor's Boxer. I just got a K100D this week, so I may have a chance now!

Steve
slick204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:36 AM   #6

Welcome to the Forum Steve and good luck with getting that shot.

I would have to somewhat agree with Dom, with the exception of cropping and adding a frame and logo I stay away from PPing - must admit, once in a while to USM.

I try to do my work in-cam like the old days since I didn't always have a darkroom. True, I waste a lot more today.Practice, practice and more practice does not make perfect, it makes for a GREAT photograph and that's what photography is all about.

This must have been difficult shot to make Dom especially with the dog running AWAY from you and having a zoom to boot. Try a sideways pan and the focusing wouldn't be so difficult.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:31 PM   #7

'This must have been difficult shot to make Dom especially with the dog running AWAY from you and having a zoom to boot. Try a sideways pan and the focusing wouldn't be so difficult.'

This was really a matter of luck , and no more than that. Camera was set to shoot continuously in the hope that one shot would come out. On this occasion this was the one. This is the great thing about digital, and about shooting in jpeg as opposed to raw in these circumstances, you really can just effectively point and shoot. The more you take the greater the chance that one will work.

Doing this when I predominantly shot Ekatachrome 64 used to cost a fortune.

Dom

Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:53 PM   #8

On the chance that I may be dis-invited from this forum, I'll go ahead anyway. Many dog shows also offer Lure Coursing, where a safe track is laid out over several acres with a ground pully and wire system providing a lure (white cloth) for them to chase, and the dogs are raced - mainly sight hounds (Greyhounds, Whippets, and Italian Greyhounds) - all approved by the AKC - the dogs love to participate. I'll go ahead and put in a photo that is not mine, as probably few of you have never had an opportunity to have seen an IGgy (Italian Greyhound) http://www.italiangreyhound.org/activities/lure.html

[align=center][img]file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CGordon%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmso html1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.jpg[/img]
[/align] [align=center] Photo by Leaping Lizards
[/align]
IGs are about a foot high and weigh 10 pounds, they are toy dogs, love to sleep in bed and be companions (lap dogs) and are the very cat like (clean and do not shed). They are also pack dogs, that love the company of other IGs and have contests as to how many IGs can sleep on a single pillow - all piled up on top of each other (IGgy piles). They also race each other in the back yard - most of the time they are a blur of speed and agility.....

Two take aways - dog shows are great photo opportunities - especially the lure coursing, just like car racing (Le Mans) you can stake out your photo, either sideways, or heading in to a turn, (hint they lean in to the turn like a sail boat and heel over, using their tail as a rudder) - they also turn on a dime with 11 cents in change.

The other one is rescue - all dog breeds have rescue organizations, the IGCA - Italian Greyhound Club of America (part of the AKC) has a nationwide rescure system in place. Here is a sample page... http://www.igcarescue.org/index.php?cat=64&page=4

We have fostered over 30 now - each dog has their own story, each with their own individual character - and each with its own set of photo opportunities. Thanks

.... PS the first puppy our Zoe had was invited to Cruffs in the UK

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote