Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:57 AM   #1

I purchased a PentaxOptio A10 about three weeks ago and it worked fine for about a week. I found on the Pentax website a firmware upgrade Ver 1.01 (improved auto focus). Ran the update with no problems. Then within 1 day the camera started acting up. The zoom lens would not retract when powered off. When you turned the power "on" button it would retract by two small increments. After about 6-7 power "ons" the lens would be back in the home position. I called Pentax and theysaid it was a mechanical issue and since it was still under warranty return it to the vendor. I contacted Buydig.com and they issued an RMA and sent out another camera. The second camera worked fine for 3 days and then I reluctantly decided to upgrade the firmware also, for the stated "improved AF reason". Well you guessed it, the second camera is now doing the exact same thing. I will be contacting Pentax today to see if I can load the original firmware Ver 1.0 that came with the camera to see if it fixes the problem. Anyone else have this problem or something similar? Any fixes or suggestions?

Update: Pentax says you can not go backwards in firmware versions. So the second camera is going back and being replaced by a third camera which I will NOT update to the latest firmware and see if the problem exists.

Further update:

I now have the third camera and I did not update the firmware. It has been working fine. Contacted Pentax and they still do not think it was a firmware issue. For now I will not update the firmware until I can get 100% confirmation that the updated firmware 1.01 is Ok. It has only been out since 6/29/06 and may not be enough time for others to complain. Anyone else perform the upgrade and how is the camera working?

bobbornstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:59 AM   #2

I have the same problem after updating the firmware. I think Pentax is missing the boat and hopefully the next firmware update fixes the annoyance.

Heinz
hlackner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 8:10 AM   #3

hlackner wrote:
Quote:
I have the same problem after updating the firmware. I think Pentax is missing the boat and hopefully the next firmware update fixes the annoyance.

Heinz
Thanks Heinz. So what did you do with your camera? Were you able to get it fixed or did you have it replaced?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:56 AM   #4
hef

I have tooa problem with this camera tho not quite the same as yours. Mine suddenly switches itself off either immediately following power on or whilst taking photographs. It's not a standby issue because the reaction is immediate or occurs as I'm snapping pics. Also, when thecard is full it refusesto playbck images and claims that the card is empty of images or sound.
hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:00 AM   #5

hef wrote:
Quote:
I have tooa problem with this camera tho not quite the same as yours. Mine suddenly switches itself off either immediately following power on or whilst taking photographs. It's not a standby issue because the reaction is immediate or occurs as I'm snapping pics. Also, when thecard is full it refusesto playbck images and claims that the card is empty of images or sound.

Hi Hef,

Did you also upgrade the firmware? Is that when you started having problems?

Mine also did the immediate shutdown, sometimes. I have a new camera and did NOT do the upgarde and (knock on wood) it has not had a problem for over 1 month now...Bob

Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:47 AM   #6
hef

Hi Bob

I didn't do the upgrade but the shop i got it from (its a month old) claimed it didn't have any defect and as such didn't send it to the workshop. Who was it gave you your replacement?

Thanks for the reply

Hef
hef is offline   Reply With Quote