Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:25 PM   #1

Can someone help please? We are senior citizens and someone gave us a Pentex S55. We are confused about what Image Quality to choose. (A 512MB SD card is installed.) We would just like to take photos of our grandchildren and posssibly send them over our computer to friends, etc. What size picture should we choose. It is set on 2048 x 1536, which the manual states is "Normal," but when we view the image on our computer, it is very, very large. Would it be better setting the size/pixels to 640 x 480? Better **?

Please advise and thank you for your help. Please explain in novice-friendly terms, as we are 'new' at this.

Bob
robert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:46 PM   #2

Hi bob.

You're right, if you plan to email the photos then 640x480 is the best option as they will be the smaller files and easier/quicker to send.
But if you plan on printing the images then the biggest size is the best choice.

Your 512mb SD card should be able to store close to 2000 images at 640x480 setting and about 150 images at the highest 5 megapixel setting.

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:49 PM   #3

Many thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:03 AM   #4

Hi Bob,

My solution would be to set your camera to the best quality pictures it can produce. Download Picasa 2, a free photo program from Google. It offers basic image editing, a great photo organizer, and it will automatically resize an image for emailing and place the image into an email for you. In my opinion, it is the easiest way to have the best of both worlds (good quality for any prints you might want and small size for any photos you chose to email). You do need to have Windows 2000 or Windows XP for the latest version of Picasa.

http://picasa.google.com/

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:33 AM   #5

If I readyour post correctly, you are unable to display the entire image on the screen. Instead, you can only see a small portion of the image. If this is the case, going to a smaller file would solve your problem but I wouldn't recommend it. It is likely you will want to get decentprints from your images so you want to retain the largest file size your camera will support.

You might want to use another piece of software to display your images or check the 'zoom' or 'view' settings to see if there is a setting that allows the image to be fit onto the screen.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:46 AM   #6

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bob,

My solution would be to set your camera to the best quality pictures it can produce. Download Picasa 2, a free photo program from Google. It offers basic image editing, a great photo organizer, and it will automatically resize an image for emailing and place the image into an email for you. In my opinion, it is the easiest way to have the best of both worlds (good quality for any prints you might want and small size for any photos you chose to email). You do need to have Windows 2000 or Windows XP for the latest version of Picasa.

http://picasa.google.com/

Tim

I second the recommendation of Picasa. It is very easy to use, and can also interface directly with your camera... my father uses it, and now never uses the original software that came with his camera - Picasa does it all.

-mutty
mutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:14 PM   #7

As we stated, we are complete novices with the Pentax camera and with the computer. Our computer has Photoimpact 7, which we are fairly accustomed to.

#1-Is the Picasa 2 the same as Photoimpact 7?

#2- Is it completely free, or would we have to purchase anything after 30 days?

#3- If it is completely free, is it easy to download and install and use?

#4- Would it change the photos we now have on our computer to Picasa2?

#5- Would it have any Google advertisements attached to it?

Any addtional help would be appreciated.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:16 AM   #8

No, Yes, Yes, No, and No

robert2 wrote:
Quote:
As we stated, we are complete novices with the Pentax camera and with the computer. Our computer has Photoimpact 7, which we are fairly accustomed to.

#1-Is the Picasa 2 the same as Photoimpact 7?

#2- Is it completely free, or would we have to purchase anything after 30 days?

#3- If it is completely free, is it easy to download and install and use?

#4- Would it change the photos we now have on our computer to Picasa2?

#5- Would it have any Google advertisements attached to it?

Any addtional help would be appreciated.
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:10 PM   #9

As Rob stated, it is completely free with no advertising. Depending on choices you make during install it may change default associations for jpeg format pictures from photo impact to Picasa. This does not change the pictures one bit, it simply means that if you double click on a picture it will open in the associated program. You can always right click on the picture and choose "open with" and chose which program you want to open it with.

Picasa is very easy to use. I have several photo programs I have paid for that include photo organizers but I prefer Picasa (as an organizer) to all of them. Picasa's photo editing options are basic and limited but for ease of use it is very hard to beat.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2006, 7:27 PM   #10

Thank you for all the information. It is still all a bit confusing for us who never had a camera like this before. We are tryng to learn though.

We have the Image Quality not set at: 2048x1536 **

and the Selecting Recorded Pixels at: 1024x768

Would that be suitable for our (non-professional) needs?

Also, if anyone has the Option S55 manual, it states on page 128 :Registering a Function:

1.- Select (Fn Setting) on the (Set-up) menu

After I get to the Set-up menu, I do not see any FN setting. If I press the Fn button I go back to picture taking screen.

How do I get into the Fn Setting?