Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:44 PM   #1

Optio A10 - Warning Fragile Display

I bought the Optio A10 for all its wonderful features, especially because of its small size and the fact that I could slip it into my front pant pocket - WRONG ! Although Pentax touts customers with its quality and warranty BEWARE. I owned this camera for 3 weeks, enjoyed all the features but one. The display cracked while being in my pocket under normally expected pressure. Did Pentax honor their warranty coverage; NO ! It cost me another $120 to find out how fragile the display is and how worthless the Pentax warranty is.
RDones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:28 AM   #2

Sad to say I saw your message after my son had the same problem with a 3day old camera...Andrea

Andrea.Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:54 AM   #3

Hi Andrea;

Bummer; I am sorry to hear about your son's cracked display experience. I wrote several emails up the Pentax Customer Service management chain about the Optio A10's fragile display - my issue fell on deaf ears. They all had the same taking points. They say I put excessive pressure on the display while it was in my pocket. If you can't put this camera in your pocket there should be in warning in the operation manual. The manual says you should put the camera in the back pocket, implying all other pockets are okay.

Well, for $120 more, your son can get his A10 repaired. Then, care for it as if was a raw egg. Best of luck to you. Rene
RDones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:13 PM   #4

I don't think any LCD display will take much pressure before it breaks. If the display were lit up and you saw smearing where you pressed on the surface, you are close tothe danger zone.

The only hope for protection is to have a metal rim that protrudesslightly from thedisplay panel surface and to fasten to that a rigid plastic shield such as from Daproducts.com The shield should not actually touch the display panel.

ajaynejr is offline   Reply With Quote