Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Dec 12, 2006, 1:28 AM   #11

Rob

It is fiddly to fix the camera but i live in Australia and it would not be practical for me to fix it. if you have a competent friend who wants to have a go i could give any advice but it may take a few days as i have to make a living. One thing for anyone doing a repair is get at least 2 sheets of paper and make a simple drawing of what you are pulling apart then put the screws you have just taken out and put them next to the corresponding place on your drawing,that way you will not get them mixed up and you know exactly where they go. Hope this helps rob. Also on another site someone has the same problem and they have had 2900 visits so we are not alone.

Regards Andy

batteryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2006, 11:14 AM   #12

Thanks for the response Andy I will try to find someone around here to fix it or I might get brave and try myself.
Rob
Eternalreturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 2:03 AM   #13

Hi Chris

yes it is an internal battery. the size of the original is 5mmx1mm so it would be called a 510. the smallest i could get from myhigh street electronics place was 6mmx2.1mm (called 621) I had to move it over from original position as it would not fit (its 85 % bigger)but it is still going O.K. Your problem fits in exactly with what i found out. the battery douse not like heat or cold.If people are having major problems i might be able to upload some pictures to show them where the problem is (taken with my S5I)
Regards Andy
batteryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 3:23 PM   #14

batteryboy wrote:
Quote:
Mr Smith

if you read my earlier post it tels you where the battery is and the size. You may not be able to get that size battery bu you will be able to get a n S621 (6.8mm x 2.1mm) you only need to take the back case of and the circuit board is right hand side next to the screen.it has the memmory card holder attached to it (do not remove card holder) i think there is only 3 or 5 screws holding this down. the cell is soldered onto the board and easy to remove.the board is now marked + & - underneath the cell.you can use an earth track about 5mm away (scratch of the green varnish and put a very small raised bit of solder for contact)and the spring clip from a battery holder can be soldered to the + track. you new battery should now fit under the clip and touch the eatrh track.put a piece of cellotape over battery to prevent it shorting then reassemble. charge the main battery then reset all in the settings and it should work.

Regards Andy
Hey Andy,

Thanks for the advice. I decided to take the plunge and replace the button battery. I opened the camera up, wiggled the existing cell battery off and soldered the new one in place. Covered all points up with black tape and tested with voltmeter that I was getting 1.5V, ok. I put the camera together but am still getting the 4 beeps and not switching on :?.

I reopened the camera and checked the button battery hadn't slipped, when I tested across I was getting 1.9V but I assume this is due to the capacitor or something?

To sum up, still not working. Any ideas would be appreciated m8 :?
Attached Images

mr-smith is offline   Reply With Quote