Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:33 AM   #1

I have a Pentax Optio 555 that hasn't worked for a couple years now. I was dumb and decided to film myself while skiing down a difficult run in Utah.... it wasn't a wise plan (the video was interesting though). Anyway, my question has two parts... first, when I dropped my camera it still worked for a while, but I had to knock it around in order for a spring (i believe) to not be in the frame. Because of this i'm certain that none of the glass in the lense is broken. When I tapped the camera correctly I would get pictures that would be equal in quality to ones that I took before this mishap.

After a while (this is the current situation) the lense became stuck in the extended position. So, when I try to turn the camera on the lens tries to retract, but gives up. The second (and third i guess) part of my question is, should I send my camera to Pentax for the repairs or should I try a third party, and also, given the information that I've written do you expect the cost of the repairs to be worth the value of the camera?

Thank you very much for the help. I would like to have this camera function once again. I don't want to risk my new EOS350D where I'd use the Pentax. I would love to have my pocket digicam back.

Thanks again,
Jared
JaroDefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2007, 6:12 AM   #2

JaroDefer wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much for the help. I would like to have this camera function once again. I don't want to risk my new EOS350D where I'd use the Pentax. I would love to have my pocket digicam back.

Thanks again,
Jared
And an iteresting point..... cheapy P&S cameras ARE fragile..... might do some lens problems on the 350D depending on how it landed doing the same you describe but, pretty darn sure my weather seald P K10Dwould do just fine again but for landing badly on the lens, you have to well whack... except for making filters no longer mountable.

Especially the near wafer thin P&S cameras of today are not built for abues of any kind.... or even to be back pocket sat on... know a few (not just P) killed that way too.

You want a tank buy a tank..... soap box racer is your range.... then treat it as the fragile or maybe ultimately disposable thing it is. (The card and any pics will pretty much always survive, even retrieved from under salt water... been there and done that with a cheapo UW digital that water seal failed)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:59 AM   #3

I beg to defer...the Optio 555 was not a cheap camera (400plus in 2004)when it was released. I know because I have owned one since 2004. At the time it was one of the few camera that offered 5MP and a 5X OPtical Zoom.

Fortunately, my Optio works very well and continues to work inspite of a fall it had a few ago on concrete. In fact I sometimes question my purchase of of my pentax DL when I compare pictures taken with the Optio against the DL. That little box (it is not wafer thin) does a pretty decent job and for the average person it does a great job. In fact I think my image counter on my Optio 555 has now crossed 6000.

I do know though that there were some design issues with the tele zoom getting jammed etc...a search for the Optio 555 on this forum will yield some of the issues. I guess fortunatley, I have been lucky.

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote