Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jan 31, 2008, 1:00 AM   #1

I would caution many about purchasing a Pentax camera. Had an istD camera for 15 months (actually loved it). Then the autofocus went out for no reason. Since it was pass the 1 yr warranty - had to sent it to Pentax.

Upon their review, I got an $260 estimate to fix the autofocus. Felt that after owning the camera for 3 mo pass the W-date, that cost was a little ridiculous and not justified. Called support and was told that "electronics just die" and I was out of luck. Agreed my point and the tech laughed and said so be it. Tech had an attitude and then offered me a 40% discount on labor. Why the discount was not there initially is beyond me - lets make deal!

Told them to forget it and I will take my consumer $$ someone else. He really did not care and shipped back the 15 mo camera.

I know that 1 ex-customer will not be missed by them , but come on - 15 mo and the camera dies?? And I am a low user to begin with. No damage - great shape. So I will take my $$ elsewhere. Hello Canon or Nikon

And for those buying a Pentax camera- remember, "electronics just die" and save your pennies for the next one

jf
HB CA

jforsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:44 AM   #2

When a product is beyond the stated warranty period...IT IS BEYOND THE STATED WARRANTY PERIOD! It is unfortunate that your camera failed.
pseudobreccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:59 AM   #3

Come on now - 3 mo. beyond the warranty period is not acceptable if you are looking for a quality product - would not you agree? I understand technology and warranties and this is unacceptable. Its not like the the camera was disposable! I will take my $$ elsewhere - and when it happens to you, I assume you would do the same
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:09 AM   #4

Well you might want to check the other boards on Canon and Nikon.

Canon has more than one issue from errors to cracked LCD screens. The cracked LCD screen happened to me.

No product is perfect and in todays hyper competitive market there is no margins left for great customer service anymore.

If you are so worried about it why did you not buy the extended warranty that most retailers offer?
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:38 PM   #5

Your point is well taken - Guess with cameras and even laptops that would be good advice. Fact is that with technology changing so rapid, consumer goods are not made like they use, too.
Old May 13, 2008, 2:59 AM   #6

3 Months is 25% beyond the original warranty.

I wouldn't let 1 interaction with 1 employee at Pentax alter your original Positive opinion of Pentax and their product. You would probably get the exact same response from any other company. Anything beyond 12 months is an exception - and should not be the expectation.****

Unfortunately, repairing many electronics is not real cost effective compared to replacing - just like often is the case of repairing an old car. Thankfully cars don't go obsolete as fast as electronics!
nex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 3:25 PM   #7

Default Pentax does not honor warranty

I purchased a Pentax A40 last December. In November the screen just went blank. I sent it in to Pentax Service right away. Just got a call that it would cost $94 to repair. They said that the LCD screen had leaked and was due to rough handling. My wife and I are senior adults with no childern around. We kept the camera in a semi-hard foam lined case and it did not have one scratch. I called Pentax only to be told too bad. So...unless you want a disposable camera...do not buy Pentax

Rod
rmoorez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:00 PM   #8

I remember the old story of a Leica camera that fell from an airplane landing in a farmers field. It was found and aside from a dent it still worked. Something to be said of good mechanical structure over fragile electronics. Its sad to say, but the good stuff are gone replaced by quick disposable crap. Something we all have to live with. Warranties??? No such thing. They will always come up with "rough handling" or "customer fault" and charge you accordingly.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 8:28 PM   #9

Not always, I had an issue with my olympus stylus 820. They could have said rough handling and it was true. But olympus repaired it free of charge got it back in a week. It is really about human relations between the company and their employees. You get someone that has pride in their company and you get great service . I got that form my olympus experience.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 14, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:33 PM   #10

I will just have to say that I have never heard of an LCD 'leaking' (delaminating) all by itself. It takes a bit of a shock. 99% of the time when someone makes a claim conflicting with common sense, they are trying to get something for nothing. Not claiming that anyone is lying, but that is the way it will be perceived by the repair center.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote