Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Mar 14, 2009, 2:51 PM   #1

Anyone knows of any reviews for the X70 please?
Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 3:25 PM   #2

Here's a beginning: http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10159.html
Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 6:03 PM   #3

There is a review at www.digitalcamerareview.com , but the stated ISO ratings in the test pictures do not seem to be accurate. I downloaded the ISO 800 and 1600 pictures, that appeared unbelievably free of noise, and found that they were ISO 200 and ISO 400 respectively in Photoshop. Anyone want to confirm?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 11:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
There is a review at www.digitalcamerareview.com , but the stated ISO ratings in the test pictures do not seem to be accurate. I downloaded the ISO 800 and 1600 pictures, that appeared unbelievably free of noise, and found that they were ISO 200 and ISO 400 respectively in Photoshop. Anyone want to confirm?
All of the EXIF readings for this series of pictures in this review are lower that those claimed, for whatever reason - not so for other reviews.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 7:28 AM   #5
Administrator

I'm seeing the same thing using more than one EXIF viewer. The ISO speeds in the EXIF for those images do not match up to the ISO speeds the review claims they were taken at.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 12:16 PM   #6

Hot News!

Steve has completed a Pentax X-70 review! You should also keep in mind that the Pentax X-70, the Kodak Z-980, and the Nikon P-90 all share this very same lens and many of the internal parts. The Kodak Z-980 is the only camera of the three that has a hot shoe that accommodates the Kodak P-20 external flash, that offers full tilting and swiveling capability.

Of the three cameras, the Pentax X-70 has the lowest current price.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:46 PM   #7

There are still not many professional reviews out there and most of them are bad... as are all the rest for the megazooms - except of course Canon!! I am in the market for a megazoom and am finding that these user forums provide much more useful information than the zine reviewers that are most likely paid by their sponsors to "review" their products.

I am looking at the Pentax x70 and Nikon P90. I can't seem to find many people that have tried both cameras....
vampirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:51 PM   #8

vampirefish-

You might be let down a bit. The following cameras are coming out a single Chinese camera factory: the Kodak Z-980, the Nikon P-90, and the Pentax X-70. Thus far, the Kodak Z-980 with a hot shoe that accommodates the Kodak P-20 flash, has come out with the best reviews. The Nikon P-90 is a popular (because of the Nikon name) camera, but review-wise it lags behind the Kodak Z-980 and the Pentax X-70 brings up the rear.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jul 14, 2009 at 9:55 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:46 AM   #9

mtclimber: it's interesting you say this.. at first I was fired up for the x70, and lately the P90 (due to the extensive user reviews and great threads on this site)... now I think I'll have to torture myself some more and read up on the z980. Do we really know they are all the same camera, or is this an urban myth? Not that I'm questing you per se... but I've read this elsewhere and then someone always says that the processors and lenses are different....

I do understand that the Nikon name is a brand that people would be more apt to go with (just because of the name).. but that's not me.. I want a good camera.

Last edited by vampirefish; Jul 15, 2009 at 1:47 AM. Reason: misspelling
vampirefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefish View Post
Do we really know they are all the same camera, or is this an urban myth? Not that I'm questing you per se... but I've read this elsewhere and then someone always says that the processors and lenses are different....
Even though they may come from the same factory, they are not the same camera. Each is customized to the specifications of the brand they are manufactured for. The Nikon and Pentax seem most alike, but there are still differences. I have followed all three and IMO I agree with Sara's ranking of them, but I still think the Panasonic FZ28 is still superior to them all and I am staying with mine. Check it out while they are still available.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote