Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:22 PM   #1
^

My wife just brought the A10 home from a day out with a cracked screen so I'm shopping for a replacement.

To start, I'll say that aside from its speed, I really like the A10, but the A30 review mentions that it's an all-around improvement over the A10 so I'm leaning towards getting one of those as a replacement.

Of course, there's the A40 as well, but the review here for it isn't quite as glowing as the A30.

So my question is: should I spring for the A40 or just pick up an A30? Or should I can all that and just grab a cheap NOS A10?

Side note: how picky is Pentax about gray market cameras and warranty coverage? I fortunately never had to worry about it with the A10 but if I'm buying new, I want coverage just in case.
^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:04 AM   #2
Administrator

I just skimmed through the reviews for all 3 models here, and I get the impression that the A40 doesn't have the same level of performance as the older A30. If you read the review conclusion sections for models you consider here (it's the last page before the sample images in each model's review), Steve usually covers things like Startup time, Autofocus Speed, cycle times between photos with and without a flash, image quality indoors and outdoors, and more).

But, note that that's a two year old A30 review (which is a long time for technology). I only see a few dealers in the U.S. with listings for it, and I'm not sure I'd trust any of them.

Have you considered looking at a newer camera model instead? You may be able to get more "bang for the buck" that way and have a better chance of finding one at a reputable dealer.

A good place to start your search is Steve's Best Cameras List (models deemed to be a good value within their market niche).

As for Pentax servicing of gray market gear, I don't know what their policy is on it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:33 AM   #3
^

I had a look at those conclusion pages. That's what I was going on. The A40 just didn't seem like an improvement and the indoor example pictures all actually looked a bit worse. It seemed like an example of "too many pixels in too small a sensor" to me.

I haven't really considered anything newer mostly because of price (can get an A10 from an authorized seller fro $110 shipped), but also because the feature set of the A10 is just about perfect for me and nothing else besides the A30/A40 are quite the same. I'll definitely look into it a little more though.

Thanks for the help.
^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:15 AM   #4

^ Did something happen to the camera which caused the screen to crack, or did your wife just notice it was damaged and wondered how it might have happened?

I am finding a lot of reviews pointing to the latter, damaged screens with no reason for it, no signs of impact, punture, scratches etc, just a busted screen. All Pentax, but just the Optio A40 (the model I bought just 4 months ago) up until finding your post ref the A10.
Dippy Danni is offline   Reply With Quote