Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old May 28, 2009, 10:00 AM   #1

Default Need Pro opinion on K10D over Canon

Update: I am re-posting this thread to the Pentax DSLR forum, sorry for the confusion!

As I stated in an earlier thread, I got a good deal on 2 K10D's, brand new, old stock, $250 each. One I bought for my daughter who will be freshman at Belmont and an art & photography major. Thought that a K10D for $250 would be a GREAT DSLR to get her started, especially since I'm willing to give her the camera as a gift. She rejected it and told my wife/her mom: "...no professional photographer would EVER use a Pentax!" She wants to go buy a Canon (not sure which model) and pay 3 to 4 times as much for what I consider a lesser camera. I'd apprecate comments from any pro's on this.

THANKS!

Last edited by jnanpentaxfan; May 28, 2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: In the wrong forum, oops!
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2009, 10:23 AM   #2

Here's the reality. The camera your daughter buys going into school is NOT going to be the camera she uses as a professional. That's silly. Unless she's got $10,000 sitting around doing nothing she's not going to be buying pro level gear right now.

My advice is buy the 10D to start her education. She needs to be looking at the camera as course equipment - like a notebook, laptop, etc. Let's say she goes out and buys a 50D. After 4 years of college, that camera will be done-in and far behind the capabilities of what pros are using 4 years from now. And unless she's buying the pro lenses to go with she'll have nothing to show for her investment. So it makes very little sense. The right thing to do is buy only what is needed for course work and save everything else. If 2 years in she wants to move to Canon, she has a minimal investment in Pentax so nothing really lost. She isn't going to fail intro photography courses because she's using a Pentax.

Having said all of that - good luck convincing her of the above. Logic doesn't always work well with 18 year olds
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3

Thanks, John. Of course, I agree completely. I just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. I meant to post it in the Pentax DSLR forum. Any way this post can be moved or should I just close it out and re-post there? The more input I get on this will probably help me have a chance at convincing my daughter to make the logical choice.
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:24 AM   #4

one follow up piece of advice for your daughter. In many instances, if you're a pro working directly for a publication or company (vs. freelance) - the company supplies the equipment. That's why it isn't a good idea to get hung up on brand during the school years. Let's say she invests in Canon gear and then goes to work for an outfit that uses Nikon. Has she really benefitted from all the Canon gear? Just anothere reason why it makes no sense to invest heavily AT THIS TIME in a particular system.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote