Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:54 AM   #1

Default Pentax Optio 555 - Memory Card Error

Yesterday I jut bought a new memmory card 16GB and when I put it in i got error message "memory card error" can any one advise what my next step should be!

Is there a max size of card that can be used with the camera?

Thanks in advance
Nattie
NattieBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Administrator

Your camera was introduced in 2003 (before the newer SD 2.0 specifications for SDHC cards were introduced). IOW, it's not compatible with SDHC cards (and it doesn't support support the FAT32 file system required for larger cards either).

The original SD 1.0 specification only allowed for card sizes through 1GB. Now, some cameras that old without SDHC support may work OK with 2GB cards in them if they were designed to the SD 1.01 specification, depending on they how interpret block length. But, to be safe, I'd stick to a 1GB or smaller card in it unless you know someone that has found that 2GB Secure Digital cards work in it.

Cards that small are getting a bit harder to find (as most users with cameras introduced that long ago probably already have cards for them). But, if you shop around, you can probably find one. Here's an example (the only 1GB SD Card that newegg.com still carries):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208042
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:03 PM   #3

Hi Steve,

I have the same problem, same camera, and I just bought a 4gb card which is coming up with memory error.

I more or less follow the explanation you gave, but not fully, so I'm just wondering, as I have been using a 2gb card in it for a few years, would I assume that I could buy a new 2gb card and that would work too (the one I'm using is cracked), or is it possible that the 2gb card I'm using is an older type of card, and I should go for a 1gb new one to be safe?

Thanks, see how I didn't really undertand?!
cannister7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Administrator

If your older 2GB card worked, chances are a different 2GB will work, too. But, you'd have to try one to find out for sure.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote