Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:52 PM   #1

Default Pentax S40 Memory Card Error

I've read through the forum to find an answer to the Memory Card Error problem but I have not found a solution. I have a 2GB card I've been using for a long time with no problems. Went to use the camera yesterday & I got a 'memory card error'. So I put in a 64MB card & got the same 'memory card error'. I reformatted the 2GB in my computer & put it back in my camera & immediately got another 'memory card error'. All the pins inside the camera where the card goes look in tact. The camera hasn't been dropped or hurt in any way since the last use. I've checked for software & firmware updates & there aren't any. Is my camera fubar????
Beckster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Administrator

What file system did you use when you formatted it with your PC?

Your camera doesn't support FAT32, and that's probably the way Windows formatted it by default.

So, I'd try formatting it again using FAT instead (you'll see a drop down list of file system types on one of the pages when formatting a card using Windows that you can use to change the file system from FAT32 to FAT).

If that doesn't work, you may want to try this utility (it works with non Panasonic cards). You'll see a download link at the bottom of the page:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...rmatter20.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:13 PM   #3

Windows Vista. But the 64MB card that I had in it prior to the 2GB card isn't working in it either (I didn't try to format it). It has to be a camera problem doesn't it since neither card is working????
Beckster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:33 PM   #4
Administrator

Maybe... I'd still try a known working card in it (or try reformatting your existing cards as FAT (not FAT32) and/or trying the Panasonic formatter utility.

It could also be an oxidation problem with the contacts in the camera. Removing and reinserting cards a few times should help clean them from friction. I'd also use all dials, switches and buttons to help clean any potential oxidation from their contacts via friction from usage, in case a bad contact connection is contributing to the problem.

It could also be a power issue (batteries do go bad over time). ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote