Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Dec 10, 2003, 1:16 AM   #1

Default Pentax Optio 555 owners -- Likes? Dislikes?h

Hello Pentax Optio 555 owners. Please respond back with your experience with the 555 since your purchase. The 5x zoom is attractive and the reviews look great. Sounds like good enhancement from the 450 and 550 models. Thanks. :lol:
greg_allmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2003, 8:28 PM   #2

I've had my 555 for three or four weeks now and I'm still quite pleased with it. I watched every digicam released for the past three or four years--first, in researching my initial purchase of the Canon PowerShot A50 back in 2000, and since then knowing I would eventually upgrade.

The most important factor for me was that it fit in my pocket. I've been taking pictures for 30 years, and have used every thing from a copy camera the size of a Volkswagen, to the 35mm half-frame camera my grandfather left me, and I know that if it doesn't fit in my pocket I can pretty much guarantee I won't have it when I want it. The Optio 555 has just about every feature I could possibly want, and it slips in the old pants pocket like they were made for each other.

I was a little leary of buying a digicam that uses a proprietary battery instead of AAs, but I've been very impressed with the battery life and haven't exhausted it yet in a normal shooting session.

I won't comment on the picture quality, because that's been covered in detail elsewhere, other than to say I'm happy with it.

There are one or two things that could be improved, though. The low light level focusing is not as good as my old PowerShot and the LCD screen could be bigger. Even though it is very clear and bright, 1.5 inches is just too small.

I would recommend the 555 to anyone who wants the flexibility of fully manual, aperature priority, shutter priority, or fully automatic modes, coupled to a 5X optical zoom delivering 5 megapixels, in a diminutive, lightweight package. It looks cool, too!
dlwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:50 PM   #3

Default Optio 555 is great

Hey, I have had my Optio 555 now for two weeks and love it. Sure, their are a few things I would add to make it the PERFECT camera. THis is one camera that meets many needs. I also wanted something that could fit into my pocket because I would use it just as you stated.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 9:29 PM   #4

Optio 555 is a good camera. Only complaint is that it is slow power on through taking the first picture.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:11 PM   #5

Whats the low light focusing like?
Bacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:33 PM   #6

:? To answer your question re: low light, it performs ok. Not great, but not terrible. You are correct on the slow power on response. I lost my Pentex while camping over the 2004 summer. I replaced it with a Canon SD200 which I love.