Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:50 PM   #11

I just purchased a W90.

We have to tone down a little bit when it comes to expectations with photo quality when what we are looking for is waterproofing or a dustproof camera... Well the W90 is pretty much a everything proof camera.

I immediately charged up the battery and then readied a bucket of water, put the camera to auto timer and had some fun time with the camera and my face inside the bucket!!

Noticable negatives:

a) When it is against an angled light source (say sunlight from the sides)... the protective glass cover in the front of the camera causes flare (if i might call that so)... the photo is smudged with a blotch of light.

b) Battery discharges pretty fast compared to other point and shoots. I have a panasonic FX series camera and that lasts pretty longer than this one.

c) Its pretty spooky once the camera is out of the water. The surface dries up fast but the water in between the switches is pretty hard to shake off. Eg. the water below the shutter button (one to autofocus and click a photo) does not go off unless you blow it out. This is even after the camera is out of the water for approx an hour or two.

Looking at solutions to the above problems..
The stock battery is approx 720mAh.... i just found a ebay item selling for USD 10 - you get 2 numbers of 1300 mAh batteries and the battery charger.. dont know how reliable they are though...
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-D-Li88-Battery...item2a0c7fb0ce

My camera
no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:22 PM   #12

Just got it. Works fine. Picture quality cannot compare to my DSLR's...but no P+S can compare.

Carry it in a small Kata pouch bag, which has a nice carabiner style clip for my jean's belt loop. Makes it easier to carry when sitting....that carabiner system is very flexible...the way to go I think, as long as you have a tough, denim belt loop...mine is attached to my 15 oz. Cabela jeans....tough jeans, tough belt loop.

But picture quality is pretty good, better than I thought...better than my Panasonic Lumix DMC8...but then it should be...the DMC8 dates back to 2004...2005.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:38 AM   #13

Hi Les-

I am glad to hear that you are pleased with your Pentax W90.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hi Les-

I am glad to hear that you are pleased with your Pentax W90.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

So far.....I should of added....'so far'.

I have not taken it for a dip in the water yet. I also like to see how a camera holds up over a year or so.....before I can definitely give it my Les' Seal of Approval.

Touch wood .....both my KM and K10D have held up well and still function well...but my Panasonic Lumix DMC8 (from 2004)...seemed to have difficulties after a couple of years.

But I suppose that's the thing with electronic- mechanical devices, you just never know.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:59 PM   #15

A most useful thread
I have decided to buy one of these. Up too now, my only water resistant camera is my Pentax K20D which I love, but really wanted a weather proof point and shoot
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote