Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Feb 8, 2011, 7:23 PM   #1

Default Pentax k-X

Hi all

I'm looking at the Pentax K-x with the 18-55mm and 55-300mm lense kit as my first DSLR. Should I be able to get good indoor photos without flash? i have never shot DSLR before just the superzooms. I just don't know if I should make the jump or not.
I would like to take some indoor photos and events and parties mostly of people without flash. I find most flash to be too harsh and wash out the true colors of the scene.

Thanks for your help
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2011, 8:54 PM   #2

The short answer is - no. Generally speaking unless you have a LOT of light, you're not going to be able to do a lot of available light photography with a kit lens with ANY dslr. It's not a pentax limitation it's going to be the case with any dslr you get. You have two choices:
1) buy a lens with wider aperture which will allow you to get shots in SOME conditions. But there are still limitations - depending on how much you want to get in focus (wide apertures result in less of an image being in focus so it's more difficult to get multiple people in focus), or if your subject is moving at all even wide apertures/high isos might not be good enough

2) get and learn to use external flash. External flashes can be bounced off the ceiling creating more diffuse light that is less harsh. This has the benefit of allowing you to use lower ISOs, flash burst instead of shutter speed freezes subject motion and and you can use narrower apertures so more people are in focus. Pentax' PTTL flash implementation isn't the system's strong suit though - so it's not as accurate and Nikon (best flash implementation) or Canon & Sony (behind nikon but ahead of pentax). Still external bounced flash is much better than direct flash in any system. I think in large part the Pentax implementation may be why so many people in that system are adverse to it's use vs. say Nikon users who don't encounter as many issues.
What types of indoor photos do you want to take? If it's general family type stuff - parties, etc. then external flash in any system is going to get you better results than wide aperture/high ISO. Where the wide aperture / high ISO shines is in indoor portraits when you have a good light source - either very good lighting or a window with sunlight - with flash it's difficult to capture the same 'mood' that available light allows you to capture. But you just plain get bad shots when you rely on available light if you don't have those strong light sources and you have people moving/interacting etc.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:12 PM   #3

nope, the iso oly goes so far, you will get much better results with a flash. But if you are coming form a point and shoot, the pentax indoor performance is a world of difference.

Now the pentax k-x is nice, as it can do off camera wireless pttl. So you can get really creative with the k-x and flash work if you want.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:41 PM   #4

Thanks

JohnG and Shoturtle
From the sounds of it, I might just stay with the superzoom and a external flash. Although I have never used a DSLR and cannot compare, but for the occasional shots I take maybe what I have will suffice. i really don't want to carry alot of lenses considering I really don't know what to do with them.
I just thought since the DSLR has a much larger sensor it would work better than the superzoom I have now.

Thanks for your advice
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:51 PM   #5

Yes it will out preform a megazoom when the light drop even with the kit lens. But you are getting comments form dslr owner. So form a dslr background the kit lens are not as good as big aperture lenses or flash. But the k-x at 3200iso is not bad in low light.

Here is what the k-x can do, there are a mix of different kind of shooting. tripod, handheld night, and indoor hand held.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...canon-t1i.html