Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jan 4, 2004, 5:08 PM   #1

Default Pictures taken with Optio 555 on Mexican Riviera Cruise

We just returned (today) from a Mexican Riviera cruise on Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas. I posted up some pictures that you may enjoy at:

http://pmj.smugmug.com/gallery/53285

Some of the pictures were taken with the Panasonic FZ10 and others with the Pentax Optio 555. If you click on the picture you can see which is which.

Any questions of comments, just ask.
paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2004, 4:35 PM   #2

Very nice pictures!
Thank you!

Regards from Germany
Christian
Lammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:17 AM   #3

Coincidentally I am trying to decide what digital camera to buy and was between the Panasonic FZ-10 and the Olympus C-750. I then saw the Pentax 555 and thought maybe that would be good. Smaller, pretty much the same features, but less zoom of course.

Which camera do you find yourself using more, the Pentax or Panasonic?
Jeff
dcwebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:25 AM   #4

Last month, we sold two older digital cameras that we had. We bought the Pentax Optio 555 and the Lumix FZ10. The Pentax is for my wife's purse and she uses it quite often in her teaching work. The Lumix is primarily used by me.

Other than the longer reach of the Lumix lens, the two are indistiguishable to me as far as ease of use and picture quality.

We travel quite a bit, and the camera I might use on a given day depends on the logistics of what we'll be doing, where we will be going, what is worth shooting, etc. The Pentax hangs on my belt and is therefore a little more convenient when we are out and about, but no big deal either way.

I posted up some pictures taken on a Mexican Riviera cruise a couple of weeks ago. Some were shot with the Pentax, some with the Lumix. If you click on the picture, the caption indicates which camera was used.

http://www.pmj.smugmug.com/gallery/53285
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. Wish I could afford both cameras as that would be ideal, but I'm having a hard enough time convincing my wife for one. I am starting to believe that the smaller Pentax would definitely get more use as it is easier to carry around. Thanks for the info.
Jeff
dcwebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2004, 8:22 PM   #6

There is a $50 rebate from Pentax that expires at the end of January. You may want to move before then so you can take advantage of it.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 9:31 AM   #7

Default FZ10 at night?

Paul I would like to know of your experience with using the FZ10 at night.

Apparently in low light situations on manual the 2" TFT is blank.

I find most of my photograpy is done in twilight or dark situations - dramatic stuff! My shutter speeds tend to be between 1 and 2 seconds for this.

I wonder if you use any of the FZ10's auto modes for night stuff or do you go with manual?

I've been oooohing and aaahhhing for a good while whether to get this camera or not - if not I'll probably go for a C-750UZ.

Perhaps you can shed some... er light on the subject.

John
daclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 9:33 AM   #8

Default FZ10 at night?

Paul I would like to know of your experience with using the FZ10 at night.

Apparently in low light situations on manual the 2" TFT is blank.

I find most of my photograpy is done in twilight or dark situations - dramatic stuff! My shutter speeds tend to be between 1 and 2 seconds for this.

I wonder if you use any of the FZ10's auto modes for night stuff or do you go with manual?

I've been oooohing and aaahhhing for a good while whether to get this camera or not - if not I'll probably go for a C-750UZ.

Perhaps you can shed some... er light on the subject.

John
daclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 9:43 AM   #9

I have no real experience with taking manual exposure pictures at night as you describe it. There have been some discussions about this on the Panasonic forum, so you may want to check there.

In every way however, I am satisfied with what the FZ10 can do. I'm glad I bought it.