Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 11, 2004, 8:45 AM   #1

Default Optio S4 vs Minolta Dimage Xg

I have a hard time choosing between the Optio S4 and a Minolta Dimage Xg. Does anyone have any opinions on the pros and cons of these two models? All help sincerely appreciated!

[I've posted this in both the Pentax and the Minolta forum, hope it will not be considerd spamming.]
sunhede is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2004, 10:25 PM   #2

The new Optio S4i vs. the Xg has a resolution of 4 MP vs. 3.2 MP, has a charging cradle vs. none, is a smaller package, a larger LCD screen and is close in price.

In my opinion, no contest.
paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 5:08 AM   #3

What attracts me with the Minolta Dimage is its very fast startup. Although the The S4i is somewhat more expensive than the S4 and hence probably a bit too pricey for me, how long does it take for the S4i from Power On -> First Shot?

I basically know about most features of both cameras, but it would be good to get some comments based on real user experience. Under what type of conditions does the camera "fail"? Is there something that annoys you?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:41 AM   #4
1C5

It is under 3 seconds from turning the power on to getting the first shot.
How fast is the Minolta?
1C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 8:48 AM   #5

0.8s according to Minolta
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:33 AM   #6
1C5

Wow, that is quite a bit quicker, but for my needs, under 3 seconds is more than enough.
Do you really want to buy a camera based on the difference between .8 seconds and 2.8 seconds?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:35 AM   #7
1C5

And to answer your other question, the S4i has been awesome, the fact that it is so small means I am always ready for a quick photo op in times when I wouldn't be with a bigger camera.
The picture quality is also impressive for such a small camera and as a bonus, the super macro is excellent.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:58 AM   #8

Judging by image quality alone, the S4 is of course the winner. What talks for the Minolta is:
1. Extremely fast start up/shut down (i just want to pick the camera out of my pocket, take the picture and throw it back in there).
2. Battery lasts longer
3. The design is more sturdy. I plan to also use the camera while hiking etc and I fear that the S4 is even more sensitive to such conditions.

In summary its a tradeoff between image quality and practicality and I guess either camera would in some sense be a good choice. That's why I'm especially interested in irritating features (if any) or the conditions when the cameras fail to perform satisfactory.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:21 AM   #9
1C5

I have only had the camera for les than 2 weeks but so far it has done eveything I have asked it to so I can't find any negative things to report. Pentax also makes a nice little leather case for it that is very small, this would be a good idea if you are concerned about it getting damaged when you are not using it.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 12:54 PM   #10

The approximate selling price difference between the S4i and the Xg is $50. Why would you let that amount of money stand in the way of buying something so obviously superior?

Also, the S4 is obsolete and therefore is cheaper than the S4i. If you are going to buy a camera that presumably you would keep for years, why would you buy something that has already been replaced with something better?

The faster start-up speed is a negligable benefit in my opinion. How many occasions do you expect to encounter where that feature would make a difference? In 99% of normal shooting, that would never be an issue. If an event is to take place where having instant access is important, just leave the camera turned on and if necessary turn off the power-saving shut-down feature.
paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote