Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:28 AM   #1

Default s4i vs s40

hi, does anyone know the differences between the s4i and the s40 because i'm looking to buy one of these 2 cameras in the next week or so, but just don't know the difference. also, does anyone know why the 2 would come out so close to each other. well, i live in canada and the release date is just a month away. thanx!
bite me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:39 AM   #2
1C5

I don't know all the differences but I couple are that the S4i can take unlimited videos (I think the S4 could only take 30 sec?)
Also the S4i has Pictbridge, but I never use this anyway.
The LCD screen is a little bigger also.

Other than that I don't know...
1C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:29 PM   #3

Buy the S4i. We have had ours for 3 weeks and are delighted with it. We're presently vacationing in Maui, and it is taking spectacular stuff.

We also have an Optio 555, and left it at home. The 555 needs to hang off my belt; the S4i sits in the pocket of my Hawaiian shirt.
paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 6:33 PM   #4

thnx guys, hey paulmj, just wondering how's the battery life for the camera? and did u buy a second (how much?) thnx again!
bite me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 6:43 PM   #5

I have not tested the battery life in absolute terms since I'm not that curious. However, the depletion rate (judging by the LCD icon) seems comparable to the other digital cameras we own. I've taken 50-60 pictures with the LCD screen and the flash on and the icon shows no sign of reduced life.

I bought a spare battery from Eagle Imports via Ebay for $16 including shipment. They market a good product even though it is not OEM.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 9:56 PM   #6

Try using these comparison charts:
http://www.pentaxusa.com/products/ca...roductid=18233

Spent the last three days pounding digital camera internet sites in order to decide what my next camera will be. Such has brought me to this forum. In my case the key features I'm interested in are small pocket size, a few mp's, not too pricy, and a reasonably good macro function. I've owned an early tiny 2MP DimageX since they first came out which has been put to considerable use. Note the DimageX focuses down to 6 inches without any real macro mag. Also have a dusty pile of 35mm OM-4T with extension tubes which I used to do macros with. My primary cameras are a Pentax 6x7 AEII and Wisner 4x5 but those beasts are just for serious aesthetic landscape images while I use the DimageX for recording all sorts of other non-critical images. However I have well been aware of the advantages of the small image sensors providing improved depth of field at short distances so am now looking to replace the DimageX with a small compact digital so I can start using it to snag quick tripod mounted web sized closeups.

I almost ordered a Nikon Coolpix 4500 which isn't really small but given user reports, what a can of worms that later Nikon series has been. And I've run down most every other camera with good macro functions and crossed them off for one reason or other including price. A www.dpreview.com review of the older 3mp Pentax Optio S showed it to have a good macro function at a reasonable working distance though otherwise so so optical performance. Since the Optio S4i macro function has a similar design, it will provide even more macro detail given this higher resolution 4mp model with 12 bit color depth. Another function which interests me is the continuous video recording. Like most little digitals, the DimageX records 20 seconds or so filling the ram buffer then annoyingly has to stop while it writes out to flash storage. Newer digital cameras with enough fast buffer memory and processesor bw can of course record the small mpeg formats continually without being limited in chunks. Thus this can be used as a cheap superlight camcorder useful for creating streaming videos for the web. Already have a couple teenee 128mb SD flash memories too that the S4i takes. The amount of advanced features this camera has like other new digital cameras is mind boggling when one looks back just a few years.

So likely will make the $360 order to B&H tomorrow and add in the $33 remote control F which offers remote shutter release. -David
bakpakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 2:04 PM   #7

Before buying the above camera, I wanted to verify some functions so went to the Pentax web site and was pleased to see that all their camera product manuals have been available for internet download online. That includes this new Optio S4i camera. Thus I looked through it and noted it had a thorough function that allows one to save many settings after powering off. In other words when one powers back up, one would not need to continually set up ones shooting parameters again by tediously dealing with the menus.

The S4i manual appears well organized and thorough at 140 pages or so. Would recommend potential purchasers or any of these Pentax products bother to peruse such manuals before actually parting with their cash as there is always considerable more fine details than on any marketing overview or spec sheet. -David

http://www.pentaxusa.com/docstore/index.cfm?show=6
bakpakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 4:07 PM   #8

Regarding the "User" setting that you described, I believe all recent Pentax cameras have that feature. I know that the Optio 555 does.

Incidentally, unless the very small size of the S4i is the only consideration, I recommend you look at the 555. We have both. The 555 is vastly superior to the S4i in many ways, and it isn't all that much larger as a package. Also, there is a $50 rebate available on the 555, and the bottom line price is reasonably close to the S4i.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 7:31 AM   #9

Default Optio S4i is Great

Optio S4i is Great it is sub 4oz Camera, Go anywhere anytime.

It is true the midsize 6 to 10oz Medium size caemras including the 555 are not large, but you would never confuse the two as the same size.

It is really just a matter of what you want.

In my case the wife wanted a pursable camera.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 7:57 PM   #10

Default s4i

Dude, i've spent """hours""" online! I suggest you go to pentaxusa.com and do the "comparison chart" where you can pull up specs side by side (can do same on dpreview.com). Main diff between s40 and s4i is the latter is smaller, lighter, has better video (30 fps), few extra features, uses lithium-ion instead of AA's. I'm confused too but looking and stuck between Nikon coolpix 3200, Canon Ixus 400, and the Optios. If I can find a good price I'll probably buy the S4i later this week (live in Adelaide Sth Australia). Cheers.
daniel guzej is offline   Reply With Quote