Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 28, 2004, 7:29 PM   #1

Default Pentax Remote E and F trick on Optio e.g. S4i

RE: Pentax Remote E and F trick on Optio e.g. S4i

Not sure if i missed it in the optio manual. The remote itself is Pentax genric, it has no instructions.

On the Optio S4i there is on the back the 4 way curor/ok button the Up position is a fast toggle for various features including the remote (there is a tiny icon of a remote above the up cursor button) and when you hit it the correct # times it toggles through various modes inlcluding remote mode where the display has a little black retangular icon to signify the camera is in remote mode.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2004, 9:34 PM   #2

I looked at that accessory and was disappointed that there is a 3 second delay which makes it useless as a device which is supposed to function like a cable shutter release on SLR cameras. Well I guess one could use it to take self portraits instead of using the 10 second timer and running over to get in the picture. Fine example of moron engineering in consumer products.
bakpakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 10:15 AM   #3

This is simply not true, on the s4i, anyway: there is an option for a 3 second delay, presumably so you can get out of the way if you don't want to be in the picture, but if you hit the rocker again, you get just a little picture of the remote, without the '3s' next to it, in which mode it works instantly. I have the remote and like it; it's useful for low light and night shots when you want to put the camera on something and don't want the act of pressing the shutter release to shake it. It doesn't have great range -- maybe 20 feet indoors -- and depending on the lighting situation, you generally have to be in front of the camera, or at least parallel to it. But it works nicely.
Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 5:25 PM   #4

Puppet you obviously are saying it can be used without the 3 second delay which would be fine. On a few web sites the following is the description:

"The Zoom LS Remote Control F infrared remote control is handy for taking pictures of subjects that are difficult to approach, for self-potraits, or to minimize vibration for close-ups and time exposure. Features 3-sec. delay shutter release."

Thus the ambiguous marketing description seems to indicate there is a 3 second delay without clarifying that there is also an instant release function. The Remote Control E which has a zoom function is described similarly. Thus please confirm such and I will certainly make a purchase.

If one is photographing closeups of things that move like wildflowers in intermittent breezes or insects and small animals moving about, one absolutely needs to be able to actuate the shutter at the instant they freeze motion. Thanks
bakpakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 9:35 PM   #5

hi, just wondering, how much is the 2 remotes? where did u guys buy them from? thanks.
bite me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 8:11 AM   #6

bakpakr: consider it confirmed. For the s4i, anyway. I use it often.
Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 4:49 PM   #7

Guys/Gals The remote is widely available for around $30. Andorma has it foraround $18 for the E model with Zoom. No Point in the non Zoom model.

And thier is no delay if you do not want it, there are two Remote modes controled from the Camera not the Remote.

On the Optio S4i there is on the back the 4 way curor/ok button the Up position is a fast toggle for various features including the remote (there is a tiny icon of a remote above the up cursor button) and when you hit it the correct # times it toggles through various modes inlcluding **remote mode**or remote mode with 3 second delay and is labeld assuchwhere the display has a little black retangular icon to signify the camera is in remote mode or remote with 3 secocnd delay.

anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote