Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old May 18, 2004, 9:59 AM   #11
ndi

Quote:
Before doing anything that drastic you might want to wait for reviews; I'm a bit worried myself--I've had great experiences with the 33 but who knows, they may have stuffed up in the upgrading to a higher res sensor and better video...
Ross, you're right. I just had to return a Optio S40 which was a clear backward step performance-wise over the Optio S4 so I don't want to make the same mistake again (and I purchased the S40 from an Australian company so returning it was an option -which I might not haveif I buy from the USA).

I think I'll wait forthe 43WRto be released in Australia by which time there should have been a few reviews published. In the meantime I'm holding on to my S4 which I had promised to sell to my brother - he'll just have to wait!

PS - Tomac, let us know how the 43WR performs with regards topicture quality, lens flare - especially with that clear plastic (and presumably uncoated) lens cover and itslow light focussingand flash recycle time.

ndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 6:40 PM   #12

ndi wrote:
Quote:
PS - Tomac, let us know how the 43WR performs with regards topicture quality, lens flare - especially with that clear plastic (and presumably uncoated) lens cover and itslow light focussingand flash recycle time.

I'd be extremely surprised if the lens cover is plastic--on the Optio 33WR it is coated glass. This makes it resistant to scratches etc but a good case is particularly important, and the one Pentax sells is useless since it leaves the lens exposed. This is not a real problem if you are careful with your fingers, in 2-1/2 months of ownership of the 33 and some very intensive use I've had to clean the filter once for a fingerprint and a couple of times for water droplets. I would strongly suggest that if you do not have experience in cleaning optical surfaces you read up carefully on the Web re how to clean the filter; don't just listen to the bloke at the camera shop who tells you to wipe it with a dry microfiber cloth, for instance. I have just found a case, which seems to be called a Delsey .gopix 5 (that's what it says on it), that seems ideal; it is padded, just fits the camera, and zips completely closed.

There are still some issues with flare; when the sun is in the picture, at some angles you get very strange banded flare patterns. This only tends to occur when shooting into a low-angled sun, and only at very specific angles between the camera and the sun; it can usually be fixed by slight recomposition. I've shot nearly 2000 frames on the 33WR and I have never felt that I missed out on a photo because of this.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 9:50 PM   #13
ndi

Quote:
I'd be extremely surprised if the lens cover is plastic--on the Optio 33WR it is coated glass.
That's good to hear. One of the Optio 33WR's reviews said that the lens had a "clear plastic cover". I thought that was a bit cheap of Pentax -given that theynormally pride themselves on their lenses' coated glass optics. Still, it's a shame that the 33/44WR don't have some sort of proctective lens cap/cover.
ndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 8:31 AM   #14

I've taken a few test shots around the house with sharpness, saturation & contrast set to minimum, ISO to 200& resolution/quality set to maximum. A number of times the 44WR refused to autofocus even in a room w/2 100w compact flourescent bubls for illumination unless I aimed fairly close to the bulbs themselves (I'm going from memory here but I *think* my 33WR was better in this regard). I took the shots anyway just to see what the results would be. Overall I'm very pleased w/how they turned out. I ran them through the ACDSee's "autolevel" feature and most of the time the shots were automatically rendered to acceptable quality (YMMV, what's acceptable to me may or may not be acceptable to you). I'm no photography expert but so far the 43WR looks to be perfectly suited for my needs.

Tomac
Tomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 4:33 PM   #15

I found some samples pictures of the optio 43WR

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8865146

they look quite OK ...

Has anybody some pictures in low light situation?

Regards

Peter
@rdilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:30 PM   #16

Hi folk...I just got the pentax 43wr....so far only problem i have is there is lots noise when pic is taken in low light condition.:?

answer to cover lens is plastic or glass...i wrote to the pentax here is their answer.

"Thank you for contacting Pentax USA, Inc.

43WRhas a crystal hardened lens protector over the lens.

You may clean it the same way you would clean any lens surface. A
microfibercloth or photo lens cleaning tissue and fluid.

We hope this information is useful to you. If you have any additional
questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to write or contact
our Dealer & Consumer Services department at 800-877-0155."

yjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 9:08 PM   #17

In a previous message I said I'd ordered a 43WR--I received it and now have taken about 250 photos with it and so far, have found no drawbacks as opposed to the 33, with which I've taken over 1000. The 43 photos include a bunch of frog photos taken last week in Puerto Rico using flash; the 43 works brilliantly for this, including in the middle of a rainforest downpour. Every now and then the focus hunts a bit, but usually it settles down quickly, and a high percentage of the time it is on the thing in the center of the focusing brackets, something I have noticed that some other cameras don't necessarily do. One thing--the setup menu no longer has the option of setting the monitor to show a histogram, and I was temporarily afraid this feature had been deleted--it hasn't, as on the 33, pressing the OK button while either viewing a live image or an image from theSD card cycles through several display modes, including one with a histogram--from a search of the pdf version of the manual, though, the word histogram doesn't seem to appear anywhere; I think Pentax don't really understand what a nice camera they have made. Based on my experience so far with this one, and with my previous 33WR, I would definitely say it is a great little camera.

Definitely get a big, high speed SD card if you want to take high-res movies, though. I have not yet filled up the 512 MB one I got, but it will hold a lot of photos, even at the highest quality setting, probably about 240-250 (the manual says fewer, but I think they are being pessimistic). I think on 640 x 480 X 30 fps movie mode, though, it will fill up in about 7 minutes.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:22 AM   #18

:?Hello all. This is my first time at this site and would like your feedback. I am getting ready to buyanother digital camera and have it narrowed down to the Cannon A80 or the Pentax 43 WR. My hesitation on the Pentax is the "newness" of the camera and VERY few reviews about it. I am a avid outdoorsmanand a WR camera would suit my needs more. My only concerns with the WR 43 purchase is the "lack" of a lense cover and no reviews. The Canon A80 has high reviews and is a highly rated camera. ANY feedback on the Pentax would be greatly appreciated. I am not worried about the quality of the movie mode, only the photos themselves. Thanks. Rubuyn:?
rubuyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:46 AM   #19

There is a Norwegian review where it got 5 out of6 stars. Only negative points in this review was it says that the camera looses the focussing while zooming, and there is no battery charger in the package. Picture quality is very good in this review, found at http://itavisen.no/art/1303534.html?...0b1c1211f44d58

Arne
arnelie is offline   Reply With Quote