Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old May 4, 2004, 8:13 AM   #1

From what I have heared the Pentax D-L18 and the Fuji NP-40 are compatible, but do any of you have experience with this?

I want to get me a spare battery, and the Fuji NP-40 is easier to get hold of and cheaper... But is it a good idea??
Neilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2004, 10:24 AM   #2

I ordered a spare battery from the following source:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sal.../lot_id=151433

It cost me $15.99 delivered. The battery reads "Fits Fuji NP-40/Pentax D-LI8, 3.7V 750mAh". It works fine in our S4i camera.
BargainSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 11:50 AM   #3

I'm sure it read's this... But as my cam is still brand new, I'm wondering wether I should buy a true original one from Pentax or (if absolutely the same) a Fuji...

I'm sure these other brandless battery's work fine, but I wan't to go for a Pentax of Fuji; so my question is... Is the Fuji realy the same as the Pentax?
Old May 4, 2004, 1:26 PM   #4

Lithium ion batteries are largely made in Chinese factories. I doubt very much that Pentax makes any batteries whatsoever. Instead, they contract with a battery manufacturer to supply them with batteries imprinted with the Pentax name and model number. Then, they mark up the price. By buying generic batteries, you bypass at least one level (and mark up) in the chain from the factory to you.

Our S4i camera is brand new as well -- we have had it for less than two weeks. Because the generic battery has a higher capacity (750mAh) than the original Pentax battery (710mAh), we have been using it as our primary battery. We have had no problems so far. Also, I have not seen any rash of horror stories about people who have used generic lithium ion batteries. Instead, people who have used them seem happy with them. Why do youfeel it is important to usea battery imprinted with the name of a major camera manufacturer?
Old May 4, 2004, 1:37 PM   #5

Doesn't ahigher capacity battery make more heat in the camera? Because I have heard that heat could damage the SD card and/or the LCD screen...

So a tip to you; reload your battery out of the camera and nog while in the camera...

I'm just as carefull as posible with these things and often try to purchase original material... But as long as I only hear positive things about these non-branded battery's I might give it a try...
Old May 4, 2004, 7:49 PM   #6

As an engineer, I can't think of any reason why a battery with a 750mAh rating would run any hotter than one with a 710mAh rating. Also, the SD card runs much hotter in operation than does the battery.

You may want to browse the battery forum on this website. I have read stories of people buying old batteries that don't last very long but I have not read any stories of generic lithium batteries damaging cameras. If you want to be sure of getting a factory fresh D-LI8 battery, I recommend buying one with a 750mAh rating. Such batteries have only been available since the middle of last year.
Old May 6, 2004, 3:06 AM   #7

The Batteries are Actually 710mha not 750mha. They are widely available for around $20 **delivererd.

Yes the batteries are the same with one Big BUT**

There is a NEW NP-40 that is 1230mha and costs around $40+ dollars and this apparently only fits the Casio ZX-40 its thicker (almost 2x).

I wish they had come out with a differnt model #
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 9:49 AM   #8

anthlover wrote:
Quote:
The Batteries are Actually 710mha not 750mha. They are widely available for around $20 **delivererd.

Yes the batteries are the same with one Big BUT**

There is a NEW NP-40 that is 1230mha and costs around $40+ dollars and this apparently only fits the Casio ZX-40 its thicker (almost 2x).

I wish they had come out with a differnt model #
Though the original Pentax battery is rated at 710mAh, the battery I got for $15.99 delivered is rated at 750mHa. See the second post in this thread.

Since the 710mAh batteries have been on the market for a few years now,there is a chance you willget an old one with limited remaining life. As to the 500mAh batteries that are also on the market, my guess is that these are very likely to be old.

I agree with you about the Casio battery. I planned to get one until I read that it is too big forthe S4i. It is most unfortunate that Casio did not change the model number.