Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old May 12, 2004, 5:09 AM   #1

I have just ordered a Optio S40 (will ship tomorrow) but am having second thorts.

My ultimate choice would be an Canon IXUS430 (which is a S410 in the US) but its a fair way out of my budget, $670 AUD vs$479 AUD for S40 wich also includes a 128mb card, so really a $250AUD different!

Compact size is a feature i like, if i can't put it in my pocket, i probably wont bother taking it.

In saying that im thinking perhaps I should have went a Canon A75 (similar price to S40). PQ seems fair superior? Or am i over exagerating? Only concern is the A75 may be too big for pocket carry (shorts pocket etc)?

Steve. I've closer examined the S40 pics in your review, they all seem almost underexposed in comparison to say the A75, colours seem more natural also with the canon, but part of this may be the amount of exposure? Also of note in some shots of the S40 seems almost a little unfocused, i know this is a trait with the S4i, but is it such with the S40? Or just perhaps them few shots?

Hmm if only the Canon S410 (IXUS 430 here) was a few hundred cheaper

It is my first digi cam so im hoping the S40 will at least please me for a little while to come.

Any advise/experience/thorts appreciated.
Spoonfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 7:20 PM   #2

I just got mine today and have been playing with it for a while, so far I like it. The only thing I notice is that it has trouble focusing on some things that other cameras haven't. I am thinking it is due to to low light levels but a 60W buld should be adaquate. I'll know more later.
mrmegadeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 7:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I changed my mind, my Canon A75 should arrive today.

Sample review images appear superior and features such as shutter and apature control that the S40 does not have i thort i would perhaps use.

Its always a trade off i guess scraficing size for features/quality.
Spoonfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 1:20 AM   #4

Spoonfed wrote:
Quote:
Its always a trade off i guess scraficing size for features/quality.

Yeah, I will agree to that. I know there is no perfect camera but the Pentax line was very promising but so riddled with flaws. I love the size but cannot justify the lousy performance. I am going to go back to Kodak I think I like their camera pretty well and since I am trying to stay with the SD card format they are good for me.
mrmegadeth is offline   Reply With Quote