Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old May 28, 2004, 12:31 PM   #1

I am about to buy an Optio S30. 3Mp is enough for me andit's much cheaper than the S40,but I'm afraid of the image quality issues mentioned by Steve in his S40 review. Plus the slow flash recharge. What do you think about the Optio S30? Any comment on its image quality? Please help.

Thanks!!
redZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2004, 6:31 PM   #2

I bought this camera for my wife as a "simple point and shoot" and it was very reasonably priced.

I'll tell ya. I'm VERY impressed with the camera and the picture quality is outstanding!!

It's comparable with my 2yr old Olypus D550 which takes great shots. The Camera is small and takes very good pics. You will not be dissappointed. Steve wasn't either....he liked the camera.

No probs whatsoever. Only complaint I have is you cannot look at the pics you've taken without turning ON the camera and extending the lense. Other than that, perfect.

Tarl
Tarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 3:15 PM   #3

Thank you, Tarl. Do you experience the slow flash recharge and low-light focusing problems what others told about the S40? I just want to know what to expect.

I think my first digital camera will be an Optio S30.. :-)
Old Jun 1, 2004, 4:07 AM   #4

The S30 is not using the same lens as the S40 and S4i/S4/S, as far as I know.
arnelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 7:59 PM   #5

Not experiencing any of those problems with the 30. Actually I don't think she's taken one bad picture since she got the camera.

Very easy to use and I'm still very impressed with the quality of the pics.

Tarl

Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:25 PM   #6

Oh.. Pentax has twodifferent cameras, the Optio 30 and the Optio S30. The S30 is only 2-3 months old and is much smaller than Optio 30. It's just like an S40 with a 3MP CCD. I think the S30 uses the same lens as the S40, but Optio 30 probably uses a different one. I couldn't find the S30 on http://www.pentaxusa.com. Here, in Hungary, the S30 costs~260$ while the S40 is ~430$.

Tarl, do you really speak about the S30 or the Optio 30? Thank you for your help.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:46 AM   #7

You are quite right, I was not aware that it was two different cameras, the Optio 30 and the S30!! I looked into the Japan web site, and it looks like S30 is using the same lens as the other Optio S cameras. Well, if you'd ask me, I would go for the S30: the lens is not that bad, just had my first samples of paper copies back from lab, and the sharpness and colors were outstanding :lolsmall 13x10 cm copies, though). The Optio 30 looks a bit bulky...?:sad:
arnelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:22 PM   #8

Yea, I'm talking about the Optio 30.

A very in-expensive GREAT picture taking camera. Goes for about $199

Tarl
Old Jul 16, 2004, 6:51 AM   #9

I am bit concerned about the image quality that was mentioned by steve's review. I am just wondering thatit is really a software problem or theproblem of manufacturing quality.If it is only a software problem, it can be solved by upgrading the firmware. You can find that steve gave similiar first reviews about the picture quality for optio S40 and S4i.But in his second review for S4i (i believe he received a second S4i which was loaded with the latest firmware), he changed his tone about the picture quality of S4i.

One more question to Steve, what is you view towards the slow operation, especially shot-to-shot and continuous shot operationthat were mentioned by other reviewers.

Thanks
yongni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 11:27 PM   #10

Tarl wrote:
Quote:
No probs whatsoever. Only complaint I have is you cannot look at the pics you've taken without turning ON the camera and extending the lense. Other than that, perfect.
Sorry to revive such an old thread but I found it on a web search and thought this tip might be handy to the next person who stumbles in. To turn on the camera without extending the lens, dial in the Voice Memo mode before pressing On. Then you can switch to Playback without activating the lens at all.

Hope this helps someone!
wmono is offline   Reply With Quote