Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jul 14, 2004, 4:44 PM   #11

i looked at the fisher about a year ago and decided against it. cute, but overpriced for what it offered. pentax at least has a track record as a camera manufacturer.

sorry i can't help with the premiere pro issue, as i'm a mac user. i think you'll find a lot of software out there that will help with getting your mov files into premiere pro, though. i found something for the mac which works like a charm for importing both video and audio into imovie (wanted to add some effects and things not available in quick time).

there's quite a bit of noise when shooting video in low light conditions, but if what you want is e-mail and compress your file to those standards, it's quite a good picture. i have to say that for such a little cam, audio is also much better than i expected. (although there is no way to reduce wind noise if shooting outdoors.)

steve should definitely try to get hold of this camera for a review. i would be interested in hearing his opinion, since to me it seems capable of taking great pics - if the owner (me, in this case) had more skill.

ochiruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:57 PM   #12
Administrator

ed33 wrote:
Quote:
Steve!!! Have you got the camera already? How much longer?

:??:??:??:??:??:??:??:?

We just got the MX yesterday and it is in the process of being reviewed. Look for the review later next week. I'm pretty sure that if I stand on the side of the road and shoot a video that the cars will immediately hit their brakes when they see me, it looks just like the radar guns that our local cops use :lol:
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:23 PM   #13

thank you, steve. people have started pm'ing me asking for sample video clips and stills, and i know what i have just doesn't cover the cam's output - good or bad.

i like the radar gun format, by the way. it's actually easier for me to shoot (no pun intended) one-handed - helps to be able to have the other hand free to keep the videocam hanging from the strap around my neck from becoming a real pain!

Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:38 AM   #14

Hi,

There is a video on Lammy's forum taken with the Optio MX

http://lamker.de/Download/VideoMX.zip(7.23MB)

in 640x480 format / medium quality / 30 p/sec

Mark

HappyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 3:19 AM   #15

Thanks Steve!

Looking forward

ochiruna wrote:
Quote:
- helps to be able to have the other hand free to keep the videocam hanging from the strap around my neck from becoming a real pain!
Is it so heavy?!

Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 4:01 AM   #16

ed33, the videocam i referred to is a real videocam, not the optio, if that's what you thought. this past weekend i shot a family event using both. the videocam was on a tripod most of the time, but it was also around my neck at several points during the event, along with the optio. that being said, i'll repeat that the optio is not a little pocket cam. if that's really what you want, there's the new minolta x50 that looks interesting - video quality is not as good as the optio, nor is zoom range, but i think it's supposed to be a 5mp camera with a pretty fast shutter. if it proves to take good quality pics, i would certainly consider it myself as a supplement to what i already have.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 4:26 AM   #17

I thought you were talking about the optio...

I would like a good zoom and the video is a plus. For a comera with a good zoom I think this is the smallest one in its categorie.

I'm looking forward to the review because if pic quality is not so good or shutterlag too big I might forget about the zoom and look elsewhere and than I'll get a more compact model

Ed

Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:35 AM   #18

I finally saw the mx in real and...it's too much camcorder for me.

So now we'll have to decide. The pentax 555 or the nikon coolpix 3700. Two completely different cameras but both have their plusses for me (I suppose as every camera.) the 555 i like because of its 5 x zoom in a compact body. manual controls (eventhough I'm not sure how to use those as I am a complete newbie) and 5 mp.

the nikon I like because of its price, size, very fast startup and good pics in auto mode and movie function but the indoor pics are not so good (I heard) but I'm not sure if the 555 is better indoors.

Any help or advise?

Thanks!

Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:46 PM   #19

ed33, you may also want to check out the new panasonic 5mp due on the shelves in august. it combines optical and digital zoom to get you to 12x, but with one advantage - maybe - it has optical image stabilization. it also does 30fps video with sound. i think i'll be weighing it carefully against the minolta i mentioned earlier. if it's small enough with a fast shutter, it could be very handy to have around.

i will say that there are enough new cams being released to fill every possible niche in the market. it's confusing, but interesting.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:25 PM   #20

Ed33, Just curious, if video is important, then why consider the 555 or 3700, as they are both 320 X 240 and most likley have a somewhat poor quality due to the high compression? What about the optio 43wr? I have no personal insight, but it's at least vga @ 30fps.......

Scott
CMOSer is offline   Reply With Quote