Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jul 23, 2004, 3:52 AM   #21

The nikon coopix 3700 has 640 video 30 fps and I've seen that the quality is very good. it is a very nice, cheap and compact camera but not many manual modes. (although it has loads of presets).

The pentax 555 has a better zoom and manual features but very poor video and 5mp (which I dont really need) and is double in price...:shock:

The panasonic is a fantastic camera but too big for me...

I think I'll go for the nikon. It's really cheap and has got very good revieuws. If I see I would like more manual control (as I am a complete newbie, I dont even know if I'll use that) I can always give this one to my son who would be thrilled

Thanks everyone

Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:44 AM   #22

for those still on the fence, there are now some sample pics from the optio mx posted at a-digital-eye.com, with review to follow. should be interesting to learn what dave and steve have to say.

ochiruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 3:19 AM   #23

I have previously owned the Samsung Duocam, Panasonic DV953and the Fisher Cameracorder in my attempts to combine still and video. I have owned the Optiomx for about a week and played around with it a good bit. I'll let Steve do the full review but here is a quick snapshot from my impressions. I don't have time to post video.

Positives: The form factor, still pictures are about average for a dedicated 3MP still camera, video is acceptible even at 640x480-best resolution-15fps (this is what I shoot at), the audio only mode works well for recording speeches, good menu controls including a 5 way rocker. Video compression is great. Battery life is good.

Negatives: There is a noise in the background of the video like the autofocus or camera writing to the memory card. You must be very still on the still shots or it will be out of focus (needs optical stabilization), flash doesn't auto pop up and is hard to push the button for, no low light focus assist and video gets grainy in low light, I personally don't like lens caps, would prefer an auto closing and opening cap.

Summary: This is the first device that I have used that has successfully combinedstill andmemory card videoin my opinion. I returned the Fisher camera but am keeping the Optiomx. If you are on the fence my opinion would be to buy the camera at $349 (have seen on web for that price w/ no shipping). Shutter lag time is as following. From pushing the on button to taking the picture takes 5 secs and then it is 3 secs between pictures. It feels average from the cameras I've used but may be slow compared to new technologies. I have 2 extra batteries that I bought for $10 each so for $20 I have enough batteries for 5 hours of video or 750 still pics. I also ordered a 1GB SD card which will hold 1,100 stills or 80 minutes of video at the settings I use.

Highlight: It has not been emphasized in the specs or description anywhere that I've read but the most important feature of this camera to me is it's video compression. I shoot my video at 1.5 Megabits per second and most digital cameras on the market at this quality shoots the video at 1.5 Megabytes per second (1 byte = 8 bits). This is of the utmost importance when you are limited by memory card size and is an issue when you store hours of video on your computer and you should back up that data regularly since that is your only copy and computers will crash sooner or later.

I have been waiting for a device like this for a long time as you can tell from the prior ones I've owned, I have read all I could find about new cameras coming too and this is the only one I've seen with this kind of still resolution, zoom and video compression. So if I were you I would take the plunge. I do believe Pentax or someone will fix the negatives I mentioned within the next 8 months, but for now this is the new standard. It's like my cell phone (Treo 600), it has bugs and needs improvements but it is the standard right now for an integrated cell phone.
jb30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 3:19 AM   #24

I have previously owned the Samsung Duocam, Panasonic DV953and the Fisher Cameracorder in my attempts to combine still and video. I have owned the Optiomx for about a week and played around with it a good bit. I'll let Steve do the full review but here is a quick snapshot from my impressions. I don't have time to post video.

Positives: The form factor, still pictures are about average for a dedicated 3MP still camera, video is acceptible even at 640x480-best resolution-15fps (this is what I shoot at), the audio only mode works well for recording speeches, good menu controls including a 5 way rocker. Video compression is great. Battery life is good.

Negatives: There is a noise in the background of the video like the autofocus or camera writing to the memory card. You must be very still on the still shots or it will be out of focus (needs optical stabilization), flash doesn't auto pop up and is hard to push the button for, no low light focus assist and video gets grainy in low light, I personally don't like lens caps, would prefer an auto closing and opening cap.

Summary: This is the first device that I have used that has successfully combinedstill andmemory card videoin my opinion. I returned the Fisher camera but am keeping the Optiomx. If you are on the fence my opinion would be to buy the camera at $349 (have seen on web for that price w/ no shipping). Shutter lag time is as following. From pushing the on button to taking the picture takes 5 secs and then it is 3 secs between pictures. It feels average from the cameras I've used but may be slow compared to new technologies. I have 2 extra batteries that I bought for $10 each so for $20 I have enough batteries for 5 hours of video or 750 still pics. I also ordered a 1GB SD card which will hold 1,100 stills or 80 minutes of video at the settings I use.

Highlight: It has not been emphasized in the specs or description anywhere that I've read but the most important feature of this camera to me is it's video compression. I shoot my video at 1.5 Megabits per second and most digital cameras on the market at this quality shoots the video at 1.5 Megabytes per second (1 byte = 8 bits). This is of the utmost importance when you are limited by memory card size and is an issue when you store hours of video on your computer and you should back up that data regularly since that is your only copy and computers will crash sooner or later.

I have been waiting for a device like this for a long time as you can tell from the prior ones I've owned, I have read all I could find about new cameras coming too and this is the only one I've seen with this kind of still resolution, zoom and video compression. So if I were you I would take the plunge. I do believe Pentax or someone will fix the negatives I mentioned within the next 8 months, but for now this is the new standard. It's like my cell phone (Treo 600), it has bugs and needs improvements but it is the standard right now for an integrated cell phone.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 11:18 AM   #25

2 more things:

The camera is now on sale for $329 on several sites I said $349 before, you can find them using froogle.com . You definitely can't beat it at this price.

Another negative is you have to press the shutter twice to take a picture. Half way down and wait for the frame to turn green then all the way down to capture. If you just press it all the way down initially it will not take. This is okay if you know how to work it but if you tell somebody to take a picture for you on vacation they will get confused. The first two people that I let try to take pictures with it thought they took the picture and didn't, that's not good. I also owned the Canon Powershot S1, it had the same video compression problem that the others on the market have (over 5Mbps storage rate instead of less than 2). Like I said before this is still the best all in one that I have owned and is the current standard to beat.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 7:14 PM   #26

Steve,

Can you please also comment whether the optio mx can take Rechargeable CR-V batteries during your review

Thanks

pentaxfan
pentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote