Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jun 9, 2004, 4:36 PM   #1

Does anyone know when the optiomx is going to be for sale?

It really seems like a good gadget!

Are there any test photos online?

Thanks!

ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2004, 6:43 AM   #2

it's available now in the u.s. i just received mine today and am getting used to it. i bought the wide angle lens with it. two things i noted first off: the flash does not deploy automatically and the manual advises using the wide angle in the equivalent of landscape mode only.

i like the way the camera is designed overall - there is much that is quite clever. on the other hand, it is a small cam and those with larger hands/fingers may find the buttons on the top which govern on/off, menu, mode selections, etc., somewhat small. i have smaller hands and find the buttons not easy to manipulate, though i believe unfamiliarity is a factor.

it's too early to say for sure, but i suspect once i learn to make the most of the many features i will be pretty happy with it - keeping in mind that is only a 3.2 mp cam and does not have ois for video mode.
ochiruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 6:49 AM   #3

Hello!

Are the pics clear? And the videos? Is the shutterlag bad (does it take a long time from when you press the button untill the actual pic is taken?)

I would appreciate it if you could post some pictures!!!

Is it heavy to arry around?

Thank you!

Ed

Old Jul 10, 2004, 4:03 PM   #4

sorry i don't have a way to post photos/video, but i do have 5mb video file (shot at iso100 equivalent) i may be able to e-mail if you like. it was shot in bright sunlight and the footage is quite good, but i am a total amateur and someone with more experience might not think so. stills are of equal or better quality, imho.

there are many adjustments that can be made on this cam, and i am still learning them. on the other hand, i spent an evening at a party shooting stills and trying out various modes. the best stills are quite a step up from the fujifilm f401 which i bought last year, mainly because of the ability to adjust the camera's sensitivity, aperture, etc..

the cam weighs 375g with battery, so it is not a pocket-size. if you buy the wa lens, it will be even heavier, and a bit front heavy as well.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 6:11 PM   #5

Hello!

Something else I find important:

Does it take a long time from when you press the button untill the actual pic is taken?(shutterlag)

I would appriciate it if you could sent me some pics or video

Thanks alot!!

Ed
Old Jul 10, 2004, 10:49 PM   #6

i forgot to mention that there is some shutter lag. i have a panasonic camcorder that takes stills, and there is lag there, too, but it works differently: you see the frame that will be captured immediately and that is what is recorded on the sd card, so it doesn't matter if the person moves or not. with the pentax, you see a frame, but if the person moves, the actual shot recorded is completely different from what you saw in the lcd. can be annoying if you want really candid shots. my intention is to learn to depend more on moviecam mode in those situations where people are moving around rather than looking at the camera and posing, since, with my nle, you can extract frames from video if you really want a still.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 4:51 AM   #7

Short shutterlag is something I find very important as I want to take pics of my kids...

I really wonder when a proper review is going to come online!!!

Is it heavy to hold the camera as it is such a funny shape. Do you always turn the 'handle' down or do you take normal pics without turning it?

Thanks!!

Ed
Old Jul 12, 2004, 4:59 PM   #8

Steve!!! Have you got the camera already? How much longer?

:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?

Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:21 PM   #9

I'd love to see an Optio MX review as well!

I just bought the Fisher cameracorder and it seems to be pretty good, but I suspect that the Optio MX is much better...

I will probably sell/return the Fisher and get the pentax.

Any thoughts out there?
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:24 PM   #10

Also...

I'd love to know how folks have fared with the video format from the MX. One gripe I have with the fisher is that the .mp4 files are not copmatible with Premiere Pro. I don't want to use thier bundled software.

I know that the MX has .mov files, has anyone tried them with Premiere Pro?
sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote