Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:03 AM   #1

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else:

The 43WR, which I am generally pretty happy with, seems to have a bug in its firmware. In the shooting menu, there is a section called memory, which allows you to toggle on and off a memory for many camera settings. This is very handy, as you can have the camera remember things like whether the flash is on or off, the macro mode is on or off, and so on, even when turned off, so if you are taking a sequence of shots with similar settings, you don't have to redo the setup if you turn the camera off between photos.

On my camera, all the memory settings toggle on and off as they should, except for the zoom position setting. Having once turned this on, I can not turn it off. The box stays checked regardless of any manipulation of the arrow buttons, whereas for all the other menu items, pressing right-arrow toggles the check on or off.

I have reported this to Pentax, but was wondering if anyone else had had this problem, or had figured out a solution.

Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2004, 1:06 PM   #2

My camera does not seem to do this. I can turn the zoom position on or off by checking or unchecking, and it stays the way I left it after powering off and on.
HTH,
NB
nellybly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. Just checking--it is the zoom position, not the digital zoom on/off, that is "stuck" on my camera--your zoom position on/off works OK? have you turned it on, left it on for a while (e.g., while doing other things with the camera), then turned it off again?

If yours works, then I guess either they have revised the firmware without releasing an update, or there is some combination of settings that initiates the "stuck" condition, and you haven't happened to hitit (yet).
Old Jul 3, 2004, 7:54 AM   #4

I got a reply from Pentax customer service, who could not reproduce the problem. I used the reset option in the camera setup menu and reset my camera; this seems to have fixed the problem, at least temporarily.

I still suspect it is a bug, but it must require some specific sequence of opertaions to put it in action. Not a major flaw, anyway. I am still very happy with this camera.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:47 AM   #5

I'm glad that you got it sorted out. Great little cam, isn't it!
NB
nellybly is offline   Reply With Quote