Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:34 AM   #1
fed

Hi,

I have purchased an Optio S4i and it's verybeautiful camera...

I've tried to insert a Sandisk SD Ultra II (256 MB) in the slot, but the camera doesn't turn on!

Then, I have inserted a normal Toshiba SD (128 MB) and the camera works perfectly.

Do you know in-compability between this camera and ULTRA II card? Or the SD is broken?

Thanks

fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 5:12 PM   #2

Hi,
I am using the Optio S4i with a 256MB Sandisk Ultra II for 3 months now without problems. Have you tried to format the internal memory in the menu of the Optio before inserting the SD card? If that does not help it must be a bad Sandisk card.
Mark
HappyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:13 AM   #3
fed

thanks..

I think that my SDis bad..

Bye
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:31 AM   #4

Hi fed,

Another thing came to my mind:

Are you using the latest firmware v. 1.0.1 ?

To check, press the menu butten while turning on the cam.

Regards

Mark
Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:39 AM   #5
fed

Yes.... 1.01

Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:09 AM   #6

OK, then it must be the card. Have it changed!

Old Jul 15, 2004, 4:12 PM   #7

Fed ! Did you read steve's review of the optio s4i - he basically slaughered and bashed it !! But you say you have one and it is good .... Did you get it wioth the 1.1 firmware update or did you update it yourself? did you notice a difference if you did it yourself? Are you an amateur or a semi-pro in fotography? Just want an honest opinion ! Need a small portable camera to carry always with me and am confused.... I got a Sony DSCW1 - but it is BIG and when it is hot in Rome it is not possible to keep in pants pocket, because screen breaks and imposible to put in a shirt pocket, so I am looking at Exilim EXZ40 or Pentax optio s4i. I tried the opti S40 - but the LCD is not too clear and easy outdoors under the blue sunny sky of Rome !!! HELP !
SalBolzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 4:51 PM   #8

HappyMac wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
I am using the Optio S4i with a 256MB Sandisk Ultra II for 3 months now without problems. Have you tried to format the internal memory in the menu of the Optio before inserting the SD card? If that does not help it must be a bad Sandisk card.
Mark

Definitely a bad SD card. I have had two Sandisk Ulrta II 256MB cards go bad onme. When i turned the camera on (if it would even turnon), the camera would be froze. The LCD display worked, but everything else i tired did not work (shutter release, menu, playback buttons,etc.)

fed, I would send it back toSandiskor return it to the store where you purchased it. Sandisk is good about replacing faulty memory, I got myother two cards within days of sendingout the bad ones.

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 5:23 AM   #9
fed

Thanks..

I have given the card at my friend and he have tried it in his IPAQ palm..

The card works perfectly... ...I will sell the card at my friend.

SalBolzano, Optio S4i is a very beautiful camera..the photo's quality is not excellent, but the other features are incredible!!!

I am not a PRO, but have tried some cameras and Optio S4i is the TOP!

If you buy it, you will spend well your money.

Bye

Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:39 AM   #10

Quote:
quote: ....... the photo's quality is not excellent
Hi fed,

Your statement puzzles (and disappoints) me and therefore I want youto know my experiences:

1. You cannot expect from a compact digicam to make as good pictures as with a SLR. If the quality of your pictures is bad due to a defect, claim warranty on it. I have read of a series of S4iproducing picsunsharp on theleft side at wide angle, maybe your cam has this defect and needs to beajusted by Pentax.

2. The Optio camera software does verylittle digital treatment to the picturesat its standardsettings. Try a photo treatment program on your computer and you will be amazed by the results. I use Photoshop Elements for all my pictures and some auto-corrections work wonders. Try out which one/s is/are needed for each photo.

3. If you want to avoid or reducepost-treatment of your pictures, set the menu settings of the Optio somewhathigher for 'coverage', contrast', 'sharpness' and/or'brightness'.You will have to try out in different situations if thisdoes the job.

4. Hold the camera very quiet or use a tripod. Getting used to this was my problem at first. Using wide angle and stepping closer to the object is already an improvement.

5. Use the 'infinite' setting together whith the 'landscape' mode more often for landscapes. Pictures turn out better than just leaving the auto-settings.

6. Always use the highest resolution and compress more or less, according to the memory you want to allow. Compression loses less picture info than turning down the resolution.

These arejust a fewhints which you might already know. I think that the pictures of the Optio S4i are farbetter than what they look at first glance. You need to become acquainted with the camera and that takes some time, especially when it isyour first digital cam, which was the case for me.

I hope one day you will find the picture quality to be "excellent" as well (not phantastic - I agree).

Regards

Mark