Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:06 AM   #1

I am considering buying one that shows "ASSEMBLED IN PHILIPPINES" - could this beone of theso-called "bad" cameras?

Steve- do you still have the two S4i cameras you reviewed? If so, could you check to see if one is made in one place and the other made somewhere else?

Also- I have been using this site for so long -thanks for it. Just joined the forum though...

Thanks!!
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:41 AM   #2

Hi Ricky,

My S4iwas made in the Philippines and is not faulty. What makes you thing Pentax has other assembly lines for this model?

Regards Mark
HappyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:03 AM   #3

Mine is also assembled in the Phillippines. It is not softer than the best samples I have seen, but I notice that the cam is somewhat sharper on close-ups than on landscapes. The reason obviously that on landscapes the whole image should be in focus, revealing the softer corners...
arnelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:12 AM   #4

i dont understand why pentax will not just sort this out - i was going to buy one but have been put off from buying anything from pentax for a long time. actually, i will be telling friends about this.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:27 AM   #5

The incidence of edge softness seems relatively small. If you buy the camera locally you can return it if you happen to get a bad one.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:30 AM   #6

the thing is i wanted to buy from ebay or abroad and therefore it is hard to return it. in the uk - things tend to be over-priced for no reason. the cheapest this camera is going for in the uk is US$505. i might just buy the sony t1 for that price from the usa.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 3:13 PM   #7

4si is good. No Camera is perfect, all have design trade offs.

If you are going to go Sony go w1, the T1 is a rip. No Tripod mount, no remote, no video out etc.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 4:58 PM   #8

>>No camera is perfect, all have design trade offs.<<

Since when is a quality control problem considered a design tradeoff??? :lol:

I also will not buy this camera due to the fact that I'd prefer purchasing online and don't want to worry about having to return it.
One of these days, Pentax will "get it right" straight out of the box.

Ran
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 1:29 AM   #9

>> One of these days, Pentax will "get it right" straight out of the box. <<

The quality problems discussed here, as well as Steves first review of the Optio S4i go back to April/Mai. In the meantime we have August and the S4i has distinctly changed its appearance, it is grey now.

I think that with a grey Optio S4i you would not take anyrisk to geta defective one out of the first series. I am also in a plain Pentax forum and have not hearedof any S4i problems in the last 2 months. When buying online abroad,insist to get the international Pentax guarantee certificate allowing you to send it to your local Pentax site rather than to the vendor.

Mark
HappyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 9:56 PM   #10

Hey Steve, have you checked out the image quality of the two camera samples you used in your review extensively?

I bought an Optio S4i, had blurriness in the left portion of my pics, got another one, and this one was fine. But as I was comparing the two images, I noticed the the newer one just had the blurriness moved to the top of the image. So it is still poor, just in a different area. I think your sample pics of the same thing don't really reveal this con Pentax pulled on you, because you just have blue sky. I took pictures of my bookshelf with both, and one was blurry on the left, the other on top. I could see by the text on the spines of the books.
isyoox is offline   Reply With Quote