Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jan 17, 2005, 11:43 PM   #11

Hey Sandra,

No problems. I happy it worked out for ya.

New Zealand huh!I have a friend who moved to N.Z a couple of years back. Can't wait to visit him. I will be sure to packmy cameras...

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Also, thank your neighbour for supporting Pentax.

All the best,

Info_Man
Info_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:00 PM   #12

Hi Info Man,

does your solution work for the S50 as well?

Maurice
ROLLYWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:31 PM   #13

Hey Rollyway,

Yes it will work the same but here is the PDF file I created for the Optio S50.

You will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your system to view the instructions on how to connect the Optio S50 to Windows 98. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed you can download it from the link below.

Adobe Acrobat Reader - Download

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

How To Connect - Optio s50 - Windows 98 PDF File

http://www.pentax.ca/support/s50/optio_s50_win98_eng.pdf

Alternatively, you could purchase a Secure Digital Card Reader that is compatible with Windows 98/SE. Secure Digital Card Readers can be purchase from most photo & electronic stores.

Hope this helps,

Enjoy

Info_Man
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:20 PM   #14

Hey Info Man,

thanks for your help. I will give it a try.

Maurice
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:14 AM   #15

Hi Info Man,

installingdriver to use withOptio S50

unluckily, although I appear to have installed the 'Pentax USB' device (it now appears as a USB controller in 'My Computer' I can not get the system to do anything. I have the ACDsee software and the device detector is active (icon in bottom RHS of screen), but when I switch on the camera there is no response. Have you any ideas?

Regards

Maurice (Rollyway)
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:15 AM   #16

Hey Maurice,

Here are some suggestions.

Possible Device Conflict:

If you had a "Kodak - Easy Share" installed, then remove all traces of it.

Possible Software Conflict:

AntiVirus:

If you have antivirus software such as Norton or Symantec, then I would suggest that you (Dissable Auto Protect) then try connecting the camera again. It's possible that your antivirus software is recognizing the camera as an intruder.

Firewall:

Also if you havea Firewall you may have to go into it's configurationtogive you camera acess. I know that the followingFirewalls always tend to causeconflicts(Freedom or ZoneAlarm). If you don't know how to configure it to give the camera access, I would suggest that you call or e-mail the manufacturer of the Firewall for support.

Alternatively, you could try connecting the camera to a different USB Port. In most cases ifthe Firewall is causing the conflict it will ask you if you would like to grant the camera acess when it is first detected. A "Blah, Blah, Blah," noticeshould appear on you screen. At that point you could allow the camera to be recognized by the Firewall and all is fine.

Well I hope this helps,

Keep me posted,

Info_Man
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:57 AM   #17

Hi Info Man

Success--it was the Kodak problem. Thanks so much for your help. Why not inform Pentax uk/Europe about this since they evidently do not know? Or do you have any objection to my informing them--or is this all unofficial?

Regards

Maurice

Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:30 AM   #18

Hey Maurice,

Ahhh Haaaa. TheKodak conflict...

Well I'm glad it worked out for you. I hope you can enjoy your camera now!

To answer your question, I haven't informed anyone at Pentax UK/Europe about this because I've never spoken to anyone at Pentax UK/Europe. Therefore, I didn't know who to contact.

The informaiton is unofficial, and we (Pentax Canada) do not post any direct links to it from our website,butI send the information to anyone who contacts us for support. SoI don't mind if you send it to them...

This is something that I did on my spare time at home, to help people out.I createda PDF file for every camera that Pentaxmakes which is not compatible with Windows 98/SE.

At first I was sending the information to people anonymously. Then I told my director and he thought it was great and said that we should send it to everyone who asks.... I also received the "Supporting Star Award" for the fiscal year 2003 - 2004 and I am sure that this "Fix/Solution"was one of the reasons why.

If you do send it then you can tell them how good the Pentax Canada Support is... Maybe I'll get a raise! Ha Ha J/K...

Again, I happy that all works now...

Enjoy the camera and thanks for supporting PENTAX.

Dan

Old Jan 20, 2005, 12:28 PM   #19

Info Man Hi,

I will contact Pentax customer service since they must be so dozy not to have found your information. I will let them know the source and you never know about that rise.

Regards

Maurice
Old Jan 22, 2005, 1:51 PM   #20

Had the same problem as Smithdawg re Pentax s40. Followed your advice and after a few slight hitches, problem is now solved. Thanks a million from a very soggy Dublin.
schnuddy is offline   Reply With Quote