Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Oct 28, 2004, 4:50 PM   #1

I've had the S4 for a few months now, when i first got it, it was great..now i've noticed there is a longer delay from when i take the picture to when it shows up on the LCD.

does this sound familar to anyone else?
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2004, 6:35 PM   #2

I don't have this camera and can't give you concrete information, but there are settings you can change that, if you changed them, would affect the cycle time.

Using more megapixels is an obvious change that affects cycle time. Others that I can think of are ISO setting (higher requires more amplification and more processing for noise reduction), and jpeg compression level (less compression might require more time to write to the card). If you now compute a histogram and didn't used to, that might take more time. There may be many others. Most of what digital cameras do requires computer processing and there are a lot of bits to process.

Memory cards have different write speeds. If you changed cards that could affect cycle time. If you have a card that is degraded somehow, that could also affect recording time. Get all the photos off it and try reformatting it. Then check. You might also try putting a different card in it.

When doing any tests, I suggest you use a stop watch and time as accurately as you can rather than going by what seems longer. It's even possible that when the camera was new you were thrilled with it and not paying attention to the cycle time, but now you are paying more attention and noticing what is not really a change.

Alan
ameyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:07 PM   #3

i haven't made changes to either the settings or the card..all are identical..
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:32 PM   #4

Mudd,

This is a long shot, but you might try the following:

1. Take a photograph. Measure the time taken to show up on the LCD using a stopwatch. You might need someone to help you who looks at the watch. When you click the shutter release say "Start" and when the image appears say "Stop".

2. Format the memory card and test again, taking the exact same photo and measuring the time with a stopwatch.

3. If there was no change and you have another memory card, put that in and repeat the test.

I don't think these tests will show anything, but they are easy to do. If they do show a difference, then you have a cheap and easy fix.

If they don't show a difference then I suggest calling Pentax repair and asking them about it.

Good luck.
ameyer is offline   Reply With Quote