Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Nov 21, 2004, 6:49 PM   #1

I own a Pentax Optio S50. I love the camera but it refuses to download pictures into my PC. I took the camera back and I was given a new one with a new USB cable.

Same problem occurs. It seems that my PC knows it's there but when it starts to load the pictures the camera shuts off.

I have windows XP Pro. Can anyone shed some light on this subject. I would really like to get the pictures off the camera.
Devoid Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2004, 8:17 AM   #2

I have the same setup as yours, but no problems. Try unplugging all your other usb devices so that the camera is the only thing plugged in via usb. If all else fails you can get a cheap multi card reader and plug the card into there instead of downloading via the camera.
rjm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:25 PM   #3

Thanks very much for the advice. I think I will just go get the card reader.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:23 AM   #4

Devoid Guitar wrote:
Quote:
Thanks very much for the advice. I think I will just go get the card reader.
It might be a good idea to try the camera on another pc if you can just to make sure it's not faulty. Can the shop you got it from show you it working? Or maybe a friend could try it for you.
rjm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:42 PM   #5

I did everything you said. I tried it on my buddies PC, he has the same set up. Wher I bought it, they do not have a PC. They are strictly a camera shop. So I said to hell with it and bought a card reader which works great! I would like to know the camera does not want to load pictures but for now at least I can get them.

Thanks for all your help.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:03 AM   #6

Hey Devoid,

t is possible that some other USB device is causing a conflict. My best suggestion would be to uninstall any other USB Device (mouse, printer, scanner, etc...) that could be causing the problem and try re-installing the USB Driver.

Also if you had Kodak Easy Share, then remove everything that pertains to it, because I know that the Easy Share causes conflicts between the two and will not all the Pentax to install as it steals all of the resources.

Prior to removing any other USB devices, you can check the device manager to see if the Pentax USB Device is recognized or if you have any "Other Devices" with a yellow ? or !. If yes then just select it and click on removed. Reboot your P.C and your camera should now be recognized.

*** Also if you have a Firewall Setup or have AntiVirus software you might have to Disable the Firewall or Auto-Protect in your AntiVirus software. It is possible that your AntiVirus or Firewall is considering the camera to be an unwelcome intruder. ***

Hope this helps,

Info_Man
Info_Man is offline   Reply With Quote