Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Dec 11, 2004, 5:54 PM   #1

I've bought myself a Pentax Optio SV.

I tried it out today taking a mixture of shots including outside zoom shots, outside close range shots, and moving shots.

So far I've been pleased with the way it's handled the moving shots, and the other shots have come out OK. I think once I worked out which settings are best to use then I should be able to get lots of good shots with the camera.
pj9875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2004, 5:45 AM   #2

Great to hear. I got my SV on Friday and so far have been quite impressed - my main reason for purchase was the 5x optical zoom in the compact body but if I am being honest I think it has exceeded my expectations. I have taken a lot of pictures over the weekend in many different situations and will examine this evening on the PC to decide if the camera is a keeper. I think performance overall has been quite good and that is writing to a standard Sd card - I will pick up a high speed 1gb card later in the week. My main area of concern was low light focusing and there were times when I did not get a focus lock with the SV even though my Canon Ixus 300 with AF lamp did. My experience with the Canon though was that even with a perceived lock you would still on the rare occasion get a shot that was out of focus and the majority of shots were a little soft. The pentax overall seems truer in that shots are sharp and if it had a lock then it does seem to be very much in focus. One thing I had found though which surprised me is that quite often in low light I would just point and hit the shutter release withouth holding half way first - the lcd would pop up with the green lock and the shot would happen all very quickly and the image was perfectly in focus. I have also taken a picture ofa person in a room that had no lighting what so ever apart from a faint glow coming through an internal door window. The lcd appeared virtually black with no lighting yet when I took the shot it came out in what again appears to be perfect focus. I'll confirm all this tonight once I have examined everything on the PC monitor. The auto focus is not perfect as in low light I have had a couple of out of focus shots but in general - even without a lock the majority of low light shots have come out fine.

Does anyone else have any initial impressions of the SV?
donka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 2:52 PM   #3

Hello Optio SV owners!!

There are two things that I'm worried about (I want to buy the SV).

The first is the time in focusing in low light conditions. (You talk about it in your mini-review.

The second is the shot-to-shot time. According to Steve's review is 4 seconds, but say that depends on postprocessing options. What's your experience?. How many time takes to save a picture? is there any way (changing programmable parameters) to reduce this time?.

Thanks.
ToniP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 4:51 PM   #4

The shot to shot time is about 4 seconds, but comparing this with other cameras I'd say it's about the same.

You can manually focus the camera yourself which also reduces the shutter lag time, but so far I haven't had any problems with this.
pj9875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 5:00 PM   #5

In many recent cameras the shot-to-shot time is 1,5-2 sec.

For example Panasonic FX7, Canon SD300, Fuji F810, Sony P150, Pentax 750Z, ...

The burst mode in many cameras are also about 3 fps, when in Optio SV is

close to 1 fps.

By the way, which card do you use? is a fast card or a normal one?. haye you tried with different cards?

Thanks and best regards.
ToniP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 6:28 PM   #6

I would say the shot to shot time is a little quicker than 4 secs but that is with spot focus. I haven't timed it yet but I think if I turned off preview and tried a high speed card I could increase this. I am going to order a high speed 1gb card over my standard Lexar 256mb card so can post back after this. The burst mode does seem to be around 1 fps though with my limited testing.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 7:45 PM   #7

I had the SV for a couple of weeks.
Same comments as everybody else:
- problems to focus in low light
- kind of slow but not so bad.
- flash is underpowered for the zoom x5

but great camera otherwise.
The camera features allow to overcome the limitations.

For example: for the focus in low light: the depth of field is huge on this camera and there is a user mode where you can memorize shooting conditions.
If you set up in User/memory 38mm equiv, f2.8, aperture priority, and ~3m manual focus, the depth of field is roughly 1.5m to infinite and you can always make a quick shot when turning the camera on without even focusing (flash distance can be an issue).

Now a question for the other SV/pentax owners:
After editing the pictures on the computer, I would like to be able to show them on a TV slide show made from the camera.
I can put the pictures back in the camera but the camera does not recognize them.
I have had partial success with TVWriter (works without thumbnail) and no success with all the other jpegs I saved (from a variety of soft).

Q: does anybody have a working solution?

Philippe
hourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 6:47 PM   #8

Hi!

Maybe I ask this question in the wrong forum, but any help wpuld be apreciated.

I have had my Pentax Optio for one week now, but I am a little dissapointed of the picture quality.

I use highest resolution and best Qua (2560 and***).

First thing that came to my mind is, why the same SD card as used in my older Optio s4i could now store twice as many pictures???????????...in best quality of a %M camera compared to the 4M of the Optio s4i.

Looking through the pictures - some from outside others inside the house - I find them not as detailed as on my older 1.3M Sony!! When you enlarge them they get "unclear" - not as sharp.

For example if I look through them in MS Photo Editor, the properties tell me, that my new pictures taken with the Optio SV is 72 dpi, and the older pictures from a lower quality Sony camera is 180 dpi....

I don't get it!!

Could someone please tell me, if I do something wrong.

Thank you.

Lemmy
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:08 PM   #9

Hourglass, how did you set up this user definition:

For example: for the focus in low light: the depth of field is huge on this camera and there is a user mode where you can memorize shooting conditions.
If you set up in User/memory 38mm equiv, f2.8, aperture priority, and ~3m manual focus, the depth of field is roughly 1.5m to infinite and you can always make a quick shot when turning the camera on without even focusing (flash distance can be an issue).

I just need some pointers to set up the SV like this as it could remove the only real issue I have with this camera. Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:45 PM   #10

Hourglass, how did you set up this user definition:
I just need some pointers to set up the SV like this as it could remove the only real issue I have with this camera. Thanks.

To set the camera like this (as far as I can remember):
- set the camera to "user"
- in the menu set: USER to Av, Memory to focus mode, MF, zoom and everything else you want to keep for the next power on
- exit the menu to go back to the shooting mode.
- set focus to manual at 2m+ (using up/down), 38mm (wide angle), f2.8 (or higher if you want even more depth of field)

That should work.

I calculated the "theoretical" depth of field using http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/dof/
At 38mm/f2.8 the hyperfocal point is at ~3m. At 38mm/f8 is is at less than 1m!
The pictures I took with those settings seem all right focus-wise.

Hourglass
hourglass is offline   Reply With Quote