Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:47 PM   #11

I just made a new post but I guess this is what happened to me.

I guess it makes more sense for me to just buy a new camera. It's a few years old and out of warranty, and 130$ or more to fix an Optio S doesn't seem worth it.... even though all it needs is a firmware re-installation.... Ah well... I don't even think its worth sending in for a quote...

-mike
mikew44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:34 AM   #12

Since this seems to happen to a number of people, does anyone know if there is a way to reboot the camera through a sequence of button presses? If not, does anyone know how to get the firmware off or download from the web and what CPU it runs on?
rjm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 7:40 PM   #13

ialso have the same problem i looked on line at pentax and they have a fix but you have to be able to turn on your computer. they say if you dont have it installed they wont warranty your optio.
flojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:00 AM   #14

Which pentax website? Can you post a link to the information you found please?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:32 PM   #15

heres the link http://www.pentaximaging.com/custome...re?firmId=1020 good luck its on there web page pentaxworld.com
flojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:04 AM   #16

Thanks flojo, I think that's a different problem, shutter stuck rather than lens stuck. I know these cameras have a test mode, does anyone know how to get into (and out of)it?
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:25 AM   #17

I have the same problem with my Optio S4 (not S4i).

Here's the website where the way to the test menu is described:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6915722

If anyone manages to make the stuck-lens-problem go away with the help of the test menu, please let me know! I love my S4 and want to use it again as soon as possible (and not pay $130 for a repair....)

eMpTy
eMpTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:55 PM   #18

Yes I have an Optio S with the lens sticking outproblem. On returning to the dealers agent I was told that the camera had been dropped (yes 6months earlier a slight ding on corner of battery compartment!) and it needed a new optical system A$300 plus replacement cost. When I queried this and suggested it could be a design fault I was informed that this wasirrelevent! but they did offer to scrap it off & I was offered a new camera at wholesale cost. I still maintain the camera just froze and shut down so I am not that keen on buying another Pentax.
thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:08 AM   #19

Hallo, I have a Pentax Optio S with the lens stuck problem, it was stuck out for three days and wouldn't let me do anything with it. I opened the test menu by holding down both the menu button and the trash bin button while turning the camera on and the pressed the -> button when the menu came up and it's working fine again now. So thank you for all your help!
penguin foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:14 PM   #20

I Join this forum because I am too have a problem with my S4 ... :evil:and try to find the solution i contact the support contact person ( [email protected]) but find no solutions at all

Ithink that S4 had a flash memory fault that easilycorrupt the firmware .. If we push a wrong button, or like other say change battery when power is on.. then the firmware inside the camera corrupt

If there are so many Pentax S4 user having firmware problem, How can PENTAX doesn't give a damn about it ?? ( sorry )

I believe if PENTAX release their original Factory firmware downloadable in their web will save us Pentax user alot of time and money & help solved most of the S4 problems

Citizen is offline   Reply With Quote