Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:16 AM   #21

I have an Optio S4 in a similar (useless) situation. The first indication of a problem was when the menu button caused the whole camera to crash. Eventually, trying different combinations of buttons, resulted inthe lenseitherstuck in or stuck out. Interestingly, hooking it up to my computer and turning it on allowed the lens to be retracted (or extended), but the menu button behavior was still a problem. The only way to fix that was to take the battery out. Finally, I found the test mode on the camera. All the tests passed, although now I get an A90 error when I turn the thing on. The contact at Pentax claimed no knowledge of such a problem, but when pressed said it was indicative of a faulty circuit. Now as far as I'm concerned, a faulty circuit or buggy firmware is really rooted in the same problem: faulty engineering. Unfortunately, I purchased my camera 13 months ago and the one year warranty is no good to me now.

I feel like Pentax should stand by their product. If it turns out they won't -- I hope this won't be the case -- then I guess I'd like to know if there's anything I can do about it.
dnlennonpu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:39 PM   #22

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=24&page=1

everyone else is Fu*ked up just as you guys are.
benleyuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:36 AM   #23

My S4i has just frozen with the lens out last week during my vacations, about 1 year and 9 months after buying it. I'm angry off.

I turned it on and lens came out then it gave me four short beeps and switched off with the lens extended. On pressing the power button i just get the beeps and then it powers off.

I've played around with few setting since then to try to bring it back to life without success. I can get into the hidden service test menu with POWER+MENU+TRASH then >+>+MENU and most of the tests seem to be OK. I've even updated to the 1.01 firmware successfully as the camera reads the SD card fine when connected to my PC.

After playing with the hidden settings I'm even getting the infamous A90 error
as well now, ahh. After reading a few threads in the forums, I have a suspicion that these errors, lens stuck out and A90, may be related to an ageing battery and I'm thinking maybe to try a new battery for the S4i.

Has anybody had similar experiences with this camera or the S4/S5i models recently? As the camera is out of warranty I'm assuming this is something I'll have to resolve myself.
Panita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:57 PM   #24

DUDE!! ME TOO!

Please tell me that I wont have to buy my family a new camera.

I was impatient and took out the batteries too soon.

If ANYONE has a solution to this other than buying another please let me know.

The Camera was pruchased from Bi-Mart , in December of 2004.

Thanks!
miss_kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 5:11 AM   #25

After giving up trying to fix the issue myself, I gave the camara to my brother who has considerably more expertise in electronics and patience that myself. And he has fixed it!

I can't give you the details at the moment as he's on vacation for a couple of weeks (with his 'new' camara) but he did open the camera to see if there was anything obstructing the lens. He said there was nothing particular he did inside the case but after removing it and checking the lens motors he turned it on and lens retracted normally. (There may be more detail to this, I'll get him to post when he returns)

After he got the lens working the A90 error was still there but he resolved that by re-flashing the firmware. So it looks like this is some kind of design fault with the camara.
Panita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 2:17 AM   #26

Okay, I think that's a positive step in the right direction. (what is an A90 error??)

So in a little more literal terms (for those of us that are pretty much tech illiterate), who can fix the problem, or mend it as yourbrother did. Or can I with a little help??
miss_kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 10:04 AM   #27

I have an Optio S40 with the lens stuck halfway... does anybody know how to get to the "test menu" on this model, I tried the techniques for the S4 but it doesnt work...

Also, does anybody know how to reset the 'boot sequence' mentioned in previous messages?

I really dont want to send this into a repair centre :sad:
ctu_almeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:08 AM   #28

Hi!

Has anyone had the lens sticking problem on the S5i model? Mine was only 3 months old when the lens got stuck. i sent it back to Pentax to repair under warranty and they said it was stuck due to impact damage! they wanted £100 to repair it!!! i told them to send it me back unrepaired after a heated argument with them! i've just come back from travelling and decided to look up the problem and found this forum and now its out of warranty!!!:sad:

If i hold the menu button then press the power button i get "VER 1.00" message but cant do anything else! Ive tried pressing all the buttons in different orders and have had no luck!

Anyone have any ideas to solve this other than getting on my knees and begging to Pentax!

Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:33 AM   #29

You should stay away from Pentax cameras as much as possible. They are amongst the worst in the market, and unless you are desperately short on cash, DO NOT buy Pentax.

I had read this mini caption from Cnet that claimed the Optio 60 was lower in price and superior in performance and features, compared to the Panasonic Lumix FX7.

I thought - what a steal, the FX7 was more expensive and had less features .... I will go on the "expert" advice and buy the Optio 60.

There was trouble from the very beginning - it had problems focusing in low light, and pictures often came out blurred. As a novice, I didn't know, so I thought it must be my fault. The LCD screen was not good either.

I went to the United States for a 4 week holiday, and put the Optio 60 to practical use. It was so slow in snapping pictures (I had to keep still for 3 seconds to try to make sure the picture did not blur), and at night time the camera was useless.

In Las Vegas, I noticed that dust had gotten behind the LCD Screen, and in areas such as the interior of the Venetian Hotel, I had to repeatedly take many pictures of the same thing, and try to keep the best one. In L.A, the camera began to heat up drastically after just half an hour of use, and when I took out the batteries, they were burning hot. When the camera heated up to a certain level, it would freeze and not respond, even when the lens were sticking out.

6 days later in Hawaii, the problem became permanent. It would not recognise fully recharged Energizer NiMH 2500 batteries, or new Duracell Ultras, and would keep displaying the low battery gauge, then shut itself off. On the last occasion, the lens jammed and could not be retracted, and finally, it refused to turn on at all.

My holiday memories ruined, I returned the camera after just 3 months, and the guy was not surprised at all. Mine apparently was not the first, and stuff like this happens all the time to the Optio line of cameras. To reduce costs, they moved production to China, and fitted the cameras with lens mechanisms and LCDs of dubious quality. Taking his suggestion, I upgraded first to a Lumix LZ2, then to a Lumix FX9.

No problems ever since. I have gone on to purchase a Canon Powershot S2 IS, and a Nikon Coolpix L2, and nothing bad has happened.

Stay away from Pentax - you do not need to buy regret.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:44 AM   #30

blades - you need to try and get a replacement from the shop you bought it from.

Pentax does not offer comprehensive warranties to its customers, so unless you want to pay them again, don't ask them for help, as they will not help you.

I have emailed Pentax many times about inherent defects and issues with their line of consumer cameras, but I was either ignored or brushed off with replies whic h sidesteps the question.

Generally, these are the distinguishing features of a Pentax Optio Camera :

1. Made in China
2. Bad Lens quality
3. Faulty Lens Mechanism
4. Low Quality LCD screen
5. Low Quality Microphone
6. Badly Designed Firmware/Software, leading to freezing and operating errors.
7. Prone to Overheating
8. High Lemon Rate

If in the end the store will not allow you to return the item, sell the camera, and go for the other brands like Panasonic, Sony or Canon.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote