Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:41 PM   #31

Thanks for the advice ELLDJOC,

cant take it back to the shop as i bought it in dubai on holiday though!

I think i'll buy a new camera but it really pisses me off that i paid £250 to use a camera for 3 months! is there any point selling it in its current state or should ithrow the piece of shit away?

Pentax still havent got back to me yet!

P.S.. Anyone want to buy a Pentax Optio S5i with a slight lens defect?:|
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:32 PM   #32

Well, It looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. My S50 lense is sticking out also. Did I hear someone mention CLASS ACTION SUIT. I would be interested in joining. Obviously the company knows there is a problem but won't do what's necessary to fix them. My camera is in perfect condition, not a scratch so how can it be damaged from an impact? Anyway, if anyone can help me fix my S50 please lmk.
flyfishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:05 AM   #33

Technology, human kinds inverted version of the great pyramids perhaps.

Here's a film I did repairing an Optio S4i.

http://www.bluedream.co.uk/Mpegs/Optio%20repair.mpg

It was my brothers old camera, (forum member 'panita'). He had the problem with the lense stuck out. I'm an electronics engineer with very good hands, but these things are finely designed pieces of engineering so I wouldn't recommend taking it apart unless you know what you are doing. You will also void the warranty.

The first time I took it apart and checked the motors it eventually retracted OK when I turned it on once. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but it may have been related to the bad CCD connection problem shown in the film. Especially as the lense also stuck out a couple of times during this final repair.

After the first attempt, it still had the A90 error, which kept me amused for a while, but after following the instructions elsewhere on this site concerning flashing (updating) the firmware, (big up to those guys), the camera was working again (except that it occasionally had lines across the display or a dark display, which ended up on the pictures, I used to bash it against my hand and sometimes that helped).

Eventually, the problem with the display got so bad, that I decided to try and have a final attempt to fix it properly. The result is documented in the film. (I found a cracked connection to two of the optical CCD (charge coupled device) pins). It could be a weak spot as the delicate plastic circuit flexes when screwed into place.

The only mystery is exactly why the A90 error occurs. Is it related to the bad CCD connection (in which case why didn't it re-occur during the final fix) or to a pre-programmed money spinner for Pentax, as has been suggested by others...

How dramatic!

Anyway, if anyone would like their camera fixed along the above lines, mail to [email protected]
repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 5:26 PM   #34

I'm now "stuck" with the same problem with the Optio 4---lens in OUT position and can't get it to turn on. Tried a new battery @ $50. Removed and replaced memory card. Went onto the Pentax site and didn't find anything helpful. Since you wrote this request for help back in Feb, I'm hoping you found a way to fix this. Please reply! THANKS
NolaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 1:33 PM   #35

well I guess I need to add my name to the list as well. My lovely Optio has lived happily in my pocket for just over 3 1/5 years, has taken around 15,000 photos and has been quite literally everywhere with me.

The case is battered and peppered with small dents, the decals and text under buttons etc has worn off and even the bronze paint that covers the body is almost all gone. This camera has had a tough life and has done me proud.

This weekend it managed to escape a burglary but then today the lens stuck and as the S6 is only £150 I will replace it, but I'd still like to know how to fix this problem so that I can pass this camera down to my sister.

ta,
Andrew_Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:54 AM   #36

penguin foot wrote:
Quote:
Hallo, I have a Pentax Optio S with the lens stuck problem, it was stuck out for three days and wouldn't let me do anything with it. I opened the test menu by holding down both the menu button and the trash bin button while turning the camera on and the pressed the -> button when the menu came up and it's working fine again now. So thank you for all your help!

Hi, everyone,

I have an Optio S50 that has taken approx. 5K photographs since I got it 1-1/2 years ago. After an especially busy spell (500-600 pix in a week while on vacation), the lens got stuck in the out position, and it would immediately turn itself off. I tried the above key sequence (holding down the menu and trash bin buttons while turning on the camera). While I never got a test menu, it did fix the problem - the lens retracted itself, and the camera once again works.

And thank heavens- I had just bought four CR-V3 batteries for it while in Japan since they're so bloody expensive here in the UK. Thanks!

LL
ukgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:54 AM   #37

penguin foot wrote:
Quote:
Hallo, I have a Pentax Optio S with the lens stuck problem, it was stuck out for three days and wouldn't let me do anything with it. I opened the test menu by holding down both the menu button and the trash bin button while turning the camera on and the pressed the -> button when the menu came up and it's working fine again now. So thank you for all your help!

Hi, everyone,

I have an Optio S50 that has taken approx. 5K photographs since I got it 1-1/2 years ago. After an especially busy spell (500-600 pix in a week while on vacation), the lens got stuck in the out position, and it would immediately turn itself off. I tried the above key sequence (holding down the menu and trash bin buttons while turning on the camera). While I never got a test menu, it did fix the problem - the lens retracted itself, and the camera once again works.

And thank heavens- I had just bought four CR-V3 batteries for it while in Japan since they're so bloody expensive here in the UK. Thanks!

LL
ukgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:34 PM   #38

i have my lenson my optioS40stuck out too, and when i turn the camera on, the only signs that i get is the green power light on the top flashing and the red flash status lamp flashing. i cant get it to do anything. before the camera was in this predicament, it would take pictures and all but every once and a while the ldc monitor would go black and the focus status lamp and the flash status lamp would blink for like five seconds and then it would return to normal. so if anyone can help me with my problem please tell me.:sad:
aminnich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:06 AM   #39

There's quite a queue forming here!

I've gone and bought the updated model of this camera now but I still want to fix this lens thing so that I can give this camera to my sister!
Andrew_Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:36 PM   #40

I had the same problem with my Optio S4i. I switched it on, the lens came out, the power went off and then the camera was completely dead. No buttons worked and I was unable to retract the lens.

However I did find a solution that worked.

Enter the setup menu by holding down both the TRASH (DELETE) button and the MENU together and then press the POWER button for about 2 seconds. If done correctly you should see on the screen ++ KB364 ++ and some other numbers. Then press the RIGHT CURSOR button twice (the screen doesn't change) then press the MENU button.

You should now be in the setup menu and on the screen will be a list of 12 functions. Using the DOWN button move the asterisk to item 8: ADJ TEST then press OK. You should now see the test menu, move the asterisk to item 2: SHUT then press OK. The screen will nowshow something like;

SHUT ADJ START?

<<START >>
PUSH OK KEY?

Press the OK button and the lens should now retract and the camera should now be in full working order.

As I said, this worked for me and I hope it helps you.
VitonG is offline   Reply With Quote