Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Aug 6, 2006, 6:06 AM   #41

sadly that didn't work, but thanks for posting!
Andrew_Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:56 AM   #42

Hi,

I've an Optio S40 with the same problem.

Anyone knows the buttons I've to hold down for getting into thesecret setup menu?? (the sequence for the S4i does not work)

Many thanks in advance!!
walterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:49 PM   #43

I think i turned the camera off while data was being processed. now it is frozen. I can get to the ver 1.00 but thats all s5i.
jackjohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:05 PM   #44

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM HAVE YOU FOUND OUT ANYTHING?
jackjohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:20 PM   #45

Hey everyone.

Well after getting a Pentax Optio S60 last Xmas for my girlfriend it decided to "break" 3 months later, and since then i have been arguing with pentax over the dubious impact damage repairs which conveniently aren't covered by any warranty known to man. They eventually just sent the camera back unrepaired and never even told me, just ignored the emails..

I have come across this forum finally (and wish i would have done so a year ago!) and asking if anyone knows of any repairs or fixes that can be tried so i dont have to shell out 200 bux on repairing a camera that cost 400 bux in the first place!

But i figure i will still call them up and demand something because its the principle now and they should be repairing these cameras especially when it is no fault of the consumer!

Thanks for the help!
rupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 4:22 PM   #46

S40i & s60are probably same as s5i. if so it has a tiny battery built onto the circuit board that run down in hot or cold climates (hollidays) it should be 1.5 volt and mine was down to .75 volts (camera would beep 4 times then shut off) I replaced the battery and now its like new.

Regards Andy
batteryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 1:34 AM   #47

This is in response to numerous problems on the Optio S5i, could be the same on some S series. I have the same problem as far the unit powers up for about 3 seconds, then 4 short beeps and then shuts down. The problem is the sensor is out of sync with the actual position of the lens. The camera powers up, the computer senses the error and shuts itself down. There's really no "pushing the button fix" for this problem. You have to open the camera and mess with the sensor which triggers the 'home position' and the 'all out' position. Having said that, I would not advise this kind of troubleshooting if you're not fairly knowledgeable in electronics. The sensor is located right next to the speaker and it's behind the LCD, bottom left if your looking at the back of the camera. It's a small motor with fine worm gear which has a moving plastic attached into it. If the lens is all the way in, that means the plastic attached to it should be all the way to the back also. This plastic triggers an infrared sensor once it reaches back. If the lens is stuck into the out position, then the plastic attached to the worm gear has to be in the forward position.
EdwinDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:49 AM   #48

I purchased two new Pentax Optio S50 cameras for my daughters. One of them broke the second time it was used (the telephoto lens stuck open) and Pentax would not fix it unless I paid almost $200.00 in repair costs, saying it was caused by abuse. Of the dozen or so cameras our extended family owns, the only ones to ever break were these two Pentax digital cameras.

I sent Pentax dozens of other identical complaints (where the telephoto lens jammed open) that I located on the Internet, however Pentax kept stating this was not a design flaw???? Someone is recommending a class action suit against Pentax. I will join in if they proceed.

The second camera has never taken a sharply focused photo since it was new, however Pentax stated that I would have to pay to have this repaired as the 1 year warranty had just elapsed.

THINK TWICE BEFORE PURCHASING ANY PENTAX PRODUCT.
Tom Fulcher is offline   Reply With Quote