Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:43 PM   #1

The S4 stayed out and wont return no matter what you do. I tried install new battery, try to turn it on and off, leave it without battery for a week, nothing work.

I finally send it back for repair and was told it is damaged and would cost $139 to have it repair, despite the fact that the camera is almost new, bought two months ago. I read from the other post that sometimes it happens when change batteries with the power switch on. Anyway, I refuse repair, and will try to stay away from pentax if possible. I am staring at the S4, which is 3 months old and dead........:sad:

bunanson
bunanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:34 PM   #2

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can test your theory by replacing the batteries in this fixed camera while the on-off switch is on. If the camera fails, then you have a real case...that is, pentax will owe you your money back and a new camera.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:18 PM   #3

Umm..........I think that is a very good idea. However, I already refused the repair and the camera is back. My logic is based on economic. The S4 I think is on its way out, I bought it for $189 total included s/h and I would rather, if I am so in love with the S4, pay $189 and get a new one than a repaired one with $50 difference. And I am also taking this case to the national BBB. I am upset because it did not happened to any of my previous digicams:

Oly2020 4 yrs perfect functioning record

Casio QV3000EX 4 yrs then the flash quit, camera worked like a champ

Canon S1103 yrs still working

Konica/Minolta Z1 1 and 1/2yrs still working

Oly550 after 3 yrs, well, one tripto factory for color malfunctioning

And now, this Pentax S4, a little more than 40 days, dead! I do understand, sometimes there is an abnormal lemon in a line of product, but I was very disappointed that the Pentax would charge for an apparently "software" problem.

I am still staring at the !)!(#$)&amp(#*&$^* S4.......................

bunanson
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:56 AM   #4

Hey Bunanson,

If the camera is only 3 months old then it should be covered under warranty. Unless of course the camera shows signs of abuse or impact, or thepurhcase iswithinthe "Grey-Market" class.

Did you purchase the camera new? If so did you purchase it from an Authorized Dealer?

Did you include your receipt with the camera when it was sent in for repairs?

Where did you send the camera for repair?

Let me know... I'll see what I can do for you.

Info_Man
Info_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions, info_man. I bought the whole thing from onecall.com. It is a authorized dealer. And of course, I still have the receipt. It is brand new. I sent the thing to pentax repair center. They said, it showed sign of impact, as the lens is not "flush with the camera". I have no idea whether they open it and inspected it or they just, well, look at it from the surface. I still have everything in the box that they mailed back. My thought, if your software malfunction, then the lens could in principle, not sticking out in a normal mechanism and caused the frozen or not "flush with the camera". It is the problem ofchicken first, or egg first. But in the light of a 40 days old brand new beautiful camera whithout even a scratch mark (which may infer of care or absue?) how can you stick a customer with a repair charge of $130 while the market value of the new camera is only $189? The S4 still in front of my desk..........I will do something to make my case heard! It is not fair market practice from pentax.

bunanson
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:28 PM   #6

Hey Bunanson,

You should send me an e-mail with the following information.

send the e-mail to: [email protected]

Your contact information (e-mail or home number)

Pentax Repair Ref # (the reference number on your repair statement)

Date Of Purchase (the date your camera was purchased)

Picture of your camera (the condition it is in now) if possible.

I will see what I can do for you.

Info_Man

Info_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:01 AM   #7

The lens on my optio S also got stuck and the pentax warranty folks claimed the SAME THING. My fault due to impact. I think they just look at the case and if there's even a single scratch, they void the warranty. I actually know exactly why the lens got stuck and, IMO, it *probably* should be covered under warranty. It did NOT get stuck due to impact. I've heard many stories of this exact same defect, but the pentax warranty people are not very forgiving, to say the least.
whatwarranty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:14 AM   #8

Thanks for the info. So,................what is the bottom line? what did you do? and what should I do? I have not done anything other than upset! What can the consumer do?

bunanson
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:20 AM   #9

whatwarranty wrote:
Quote:
The lens on my optio S also got stuck and the pentax warranty folks claimed the SAME THING. My fault due to impact. I think they just look at the case and if there's even a single scratch, they void the warranty. I actually know exactly why the lens got stuck and, IMO, it *probably* should be covered under warranty. It did NOT get stuck due to impact. I've heard many stories of this exact same defect, but the pentax warranty people are not very forgiving, to say the least.
I think the onlyway the consumer can get even is to file a class action suit. Is there any chance to find similar 'new' pentax w the lens stuck out? Mine is 40 days old, #)($*)(%*&amp%*)%*_ 40 days old. I do not mind to take up the job if we can find several more cases.

bunanson
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:59 AM   #10

I've had the exact same problem with my Option S4 that you are reporting.

Apparently, it occurs if you attempt to power down the camera while it is

in the process of writing the data to the SD memory card. I returned it to my local

repair center and they basically had to reload (or reset) the boot program and

that solved the problem. It was still under warranty and I did not get chared

for the service. Two days ago it just happened to me again! Obviously, a poor

design...

bigfire41 is offline   Reply With Quote