Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:25 PM   #1

I've had my Pentax Optio 33L for about 18 months.

It's been a pretty good camera (better now that I know how to use some of those special functions) - especially for my first digital!

:?On Dec 26th, it was taking pictures just fine - sharp image, good color, etc. On Dec 29th, I tried to take a picture of my son and it was HORRIBLE! The whites were overly bright - overwhelming! The main image was blurry, but viewable - the edges were completely out of control fuzzy!

(See attachment for example of bad picture)

Did I goof something up? I did the "reset" tonight and things seemed to have improved a bit, but not to its original sharpness. Yes, I was playing with the settings, but shouldn't "reset" return everything to the original settings?

Does my camera need a camera doctor or is ita simple cure? Or does it require a camera mortician? (and replacement... I was eyeing up the MX4, but not sure it is worth it... if my camera is dead, advice on a replacement would be nice - I'm a single mom of two very busy boys and one very limited budget. I take lots of "quick, catch that moment" pictures and many sporting events - both indoors and outdoors. I like the idea of a camera taking both stills and movies (since my video camera is ANCIENT) and obviously, I shouldn't be playing with buttons I don't understand on my camera... *bad girl*) Oh yes, and a sturdy camera is good... mine has hit the floor a few times... *cringe*

HEEELLLLPPP! Pretty Please?

Attached Images

Raynbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:45 AM   #2

Anyone have any ideas?

Pentax said to send it in, because they couldn't tell me what was possibly wrong with it til then, nor could they give me an estimate on repair. *sigh*

Understandable, but on my limited budget, I can't afford to send it in and then pay to have it shipped back, still nonworking.

Help? Suggestions for a replacement? S51? MX4?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:51 AM   #3

Hey Raynbow,

Just by looking at this image it looks to me as thought the camera suffers from light leak around the barrel. This could be cause by dropping the camera.

Try taking a sample photo in a well lit area so the flash is not required. Then try taking another photo in a dark area where flash is required. Then compare your photos.

Also try taking a third set of photos and closeyour hand around the zoom barrel to see if this makes any difference.

Let me know the results.

Info_Man
Info_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 9:17 AM   #4

Info_Man,

Thanks for the advice. I will try this and post the results.

I've pretty much decided I need a new camera anyway (cost of shipping it to and from plus repair cost) and did a bit of research. I've decided on the Sony CyberShot P73 (I can get it shipped total for $230) when I can afford it.

Any info on that camera?

Thanks!