Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Mar 29, 2005, 1:49 PM   #1

i am having issues with my Optio S4 and taking indoor shots..they are all coming out blurry and red. am i missing a setting somewhere? they outdoor ones are coming out great
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:19 PM   #2

The red color sounds like your white balance is set incorrectly. If it is set for daylight or cloudy, incandescent lights will cause a redish-orange cast in your shots. Conversely, if you have WB set incandescent and you shoot outdoors, your picture will come out blue!

The blurred indoor shots could be cause by a number of factors. If the room is dark and you are not using flash, there may not be enough light for the auto-focus to work. You can either use manual focus (if available) or turn on enough light for the auto-focus to work.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:49 PM   #3
Administrator

Yes... As Cal said, it sounds like white balance causing the color cast. Chances are, you're not using a flash, and so the incadescent lighting is causing the cast.

You'llprobably wantto use a flash indoors with your model, unless your subject is stationary, and you're using a tripod.

Otherwise, your shutter speeds are going to be too slow to prevent motion blur from camera shake or subject movement. What you think is good light (well lit interior), is actually very low light to a camera's lens.

You'll also need to make sure to stay within the stated flash range (which will decrease as more zoom is used, since less light reaches the camera's sensor using zoom).

If you are photographing a stationary subject, and can use a tripod, then flash is not necessary.

Now, you could try increasing your ISO speed to get faster shutter speeds (each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast). But, this will increase noise levels (similar to film grain). So, you'll probably want to use your flash, unless you are shooting a stationary subject and using a tripod when indoors.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:43 PM   #4
Administrator

I noticed you posted the same thing in two different forums. So, I'm going to move this post to the Pentax forum, and replace the other thread there with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:49 AM   #5

Thank you for your responses. I am using the flash, but what i think happend was that i had the wrong picture mode selected. I also have it set to the AWB so hopefully it will turn out better next time, other then that i love this little Camera
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote