Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:36 AM   #121

Me too.. A90...first time it was warranteed ..*this* time* is years later and it happened to my son on his vacation... he's bummed thinks he broke Dad's camera..*id4gp post was very clear except for one thing.* Once i download**fwdc110p.bin to my iBook.. how do i get it onto the SD card to put in the camera?* Do I* need a card reader?**The rest of the procedure all makes sense... (cant actually try it til it comes home) ...*relieved to find this kind of help... thanks...like the* camera mostly ... this prob is a drag though. Not sure i will ever by a pentax again... they have lost me... but I sure would like to get a few more miles out of this Optio S.Doc
magicdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:05 PM   #122

Talk about magic!!*it really works... yippee..thanks to all who have helped clear this up.. i am jazzed to have my camera back...Doc
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:52 PM   #123

Hi All, I had similar success using Phélin's method, but I had to make sure the camera was FULLY charged before attempting the update. The update would fail if the battery was not charged.

I have some notes added below on things i did differently. I had 2 problems with the camera.

1. The SD Card slot stopped working - would not recognise a card had been inserted, and i mean ANY card!

2. After having a play with it, i ended up with the A90 Error. (Pentax was going to charge me AU$270 to fix it. I can pick up a refirbished Optio S for $AU170).

3. To fix the A90 Error, i did the operations as below. (Modified because I couldn't use the SD Card slot).

4. To fix the SD Card slot, I opened up the camera and forced the contacts using a piece of plastic to jam the card bay down once the camera case was put back on. - Not highly technical, but it's the only way without fully pulling apart the camera. Something I definitely don't have the knowledge or patience for.

Hope this helps others.

Phélin wrote:
Quote:
ALLELUYIAH ! PROBLEM SOLVED !!!

B-Drop this file on your SD Card at the root directory (same level as DCIM folder) or as described by the following link and then close your camera to OFF:

*** NOTE: You don't have to put this on your SD Card, you can load it directly to the camera internal memory. (SEE NOTE2 below). I had to do this because the SD Card slot would not read any of my SD Cards - i.e. a contact pin was not making contact and the card was not registering.

Simultaneously press MENU + Flash symbol button+ Power ON...a white screen with data written in black should show.

Then a sequence of buttons must be pressed: 2 times the focus button (flower, mountain, MF symbols button) followed by 2togglesto the Right of the "OK" button...then press MENU once and voil*...ze Secret Menuappears !

Using the down toggle of the OK button, go to "SYSTEM INITIAL" and press OK. Press another OK to re-initialize your camera.

*** NOTE2: Doing a system initial will erase the camera's internal memory (Not SD Card), so if you load the firmware to the camera, you will need to copy it again to the internal memory before you continue to the next steps.

Once this has been completed, turn your camera off.

*** NOTE3: This is when you can turn the camera on (while plugged into USB) to copy the firmware to the camera internal memory.

D- Load the firm ware by opening your camera with the MENU+Power ON procedure...finallythis should be posting "Complete" after the "Loading" message, instead of the "Error!" that we initially kept on having.
darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 4:57 AM   #124

Just FYI: You need a fully charged (or near fully charged) battery. The update would not start for me until i fully charged the battery.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:45 AM   #125

Hello, guys!

Please, send me firmware for Pentax Optio S - fwdc110p.bin!

Thanks, Muchacho Evu Moralex
muchacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:12 AM   #126

I found* it by googling "firmware Pentax optio" ....
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:23 AM   #127

There's links all throughout the forum for the download.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:57 AM   #128

HI, I have the same 'A90' problem with my PENTAX Optio S. I put fwdc110p.bin on my SD card, then press MENU + Flash symbol button + Power ON and go to "SYSTEM INITIAL" and press OK and another OK. Everything goes ok, then I turn my camera off.
Then I press MENU+POWER ON and I don't see this menu http://www.pentaximaging.com.evohst....s/30_f_w_8.jpg but only " VER 1.01 ". Please help me, I dont know what to do my mail [email protected]
Judie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:27 PM   #129

Hi,

Forget the system initial for the moment.

Remove the SD Card.

Re-connect the usb cable and turn on the camera. Upload the .bin file to the camera, power down, unplug the usb cable, then hold menu and press power. Make sure the camera has FULL battery. I have a feeling that the update checks the battery condition before attempting to do the update.

One thing i did differently was (as said in another post earlier by someone else), was to copy the files to all the folders.

i.e:
\ (root)
\DCIM
\DCIM\100PENTX\

Good luck.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:56 AM   #130

Hi, has anyone managed to get a solution for the Optio S where a version number is displayed after the initialise step?

Ihave an Optio S and have followed the help here, but after initialising, then pressing 'Menu' & 'On',I only see 'Ver 1.00' and the backlight turns off.

Can anyone offer any help? I'm about to throw my (once wonderful) Optio through the window!!!!

Thanks, L

My mail address is [email protected]

vostl is offline   Reply With Quote