Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:17 AM   #131

Thanks everyone for the info in this forum. I had different problems with my Optio S, but re-loading the firmware cured it.

[align=left]I thought it would be useful to describe this problem + solution all in the same place. I cobbled together the solution from various messages in this forum and also from another forum...
http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2437&sid=47f52d969a291dfd7755b88099ae96f8[/align]

THE PROBLEMS WITH MY OPTIO S...
The camera seemed to have reverted to its default settings and many functions weredisabled/ corrupt / missing- for example...
1) All of the text in the menus had disappeared (for example when deleting a picture, the little 'delete / cancel' menu appeared with two pure white lines - as if all the letters had been replaced with spaces - but you could still highlight one of the lines with the up / down buttons and press OK, and the camera would do the right thing... most of the text menus appeared like this, so you could probably change any option if you knew which line they were on).
2) Every time I turned the camera on, it had reset the date to 1.1.2003 and the location to NYC (strangely, these characters appeared OK, but the menu was surrounded by randomly coloured pixels, and there were only a few locations to choose from)... Whenever it was turned on, the camera prompted me to reset the date+location, but the values were not stored when I turned it off.
3) No battery level in the display
4) Most of the functions were not working (eg flash over-ride, histogram)
5) There was no sign of any error code such as A90

:?WHAT STEPS DID I FOLLOW TO FIX THE PROBLEMS?

1) Click on http://www.badongo.com/file/707791 and download the file fwdc110p.zip onto the desktop. You have to wait a minute or so after the page has loaded, and then an extra panel appears near the top of the screen saying 'Click here to download'. (Despite numerous attempts, rapidshare did not work for me, and neither did pentax.de)

2) Unzip the file onto the camera's SD card (on my PC, that meant copying fwdc110p.bin into F:/ )

3) Make sure that the battery is fully charged... you don't want it to go flat halfway through a firmware reload

4) Switch the camera off and then press 'MENU'+'FlashIcon' whilst switching it on again

5) Note what the screen said (in case of further problems)... mine said:
++ KB341 ++
PR : 03.03.03.18.07
LD : 2.00
MI : 94

6) Press MF twice and then RightArrow twice and then MENU - this should bring up the secret menu

7) Select ROM UPDATE from the menu and press OK

8 )Select SYSTEM INITIAL from the next menu and press OK twice.

9) Switch Off

10) Press MENU + ON and answer 'YES' to the question "Program Update (Yes/No)"

11) After displaying a 'loading message' for a minute or two, the camera displays 'COMPLETE'. Turn the camera off and then it should be working fine.:-)

12) Delete fwdc110p.bin from the camera

So far, the camera seems back to normal. As a matter of interest, when I tried switching the camera on again whilst pressing 'MENU'+'FlashIcon', the 'PR' line in the screen had changed to "PR : 03.02.27.16.34". Someone has suggested that this number might be the date of manufacture of the camera... 27 February 2003 at 16:34. It certainly looks like some sort of date / time. It would be good to know if anyone finds a more recent version of the software, because it might have had some bugs fixed!
Snaresbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:03 PM   #132

I have Pentax Optio S 1.01

I get A90, tried 110p & 124p, didnt work, also tried changing 110p to match my #, didnt work.

You find any solution?

Thanx

email y80 at yahoo com
ipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:52 PM   #133

No, sorry. I haven't found a solution after trying various releases of the fwdc update. I have now resigned myself to ditching my pentax and have bought a new camera!

Good luck with yours.
vostl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:23 PM   #134

HI,

I'm still looking for the correctversion of the firmware for my camera. Here's my info if this helps? When I get into the menus I see:

PR:01.09.06.06.16

LD:1.45

ML:19

Then at the end of the processI get ver 1.01 nad A90 again :evil::evil::evil:

Does this tell anyone anything, help is appreciated!

Thanx!:-):-):-):-)
Stephstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:05 PM   #135

Hi all,

Can anybody supply the firmware fwdc110p.bin for the Optio S? I have tried all the links through the thread but to no avail.

Email address is adam.peake(at)btopenworld.com

Replace (at) with @

Very much appreciated.

Adam
acprc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:08 AM   #136

This link works as of 9 Aug 2006:

http://rapidshare.de/files/9676896/fwdc110p.zip.html

Scroll down and select the free option. Wait for 60 seconds and the download will start. Don't be tempted by the pay-pal option.
darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:43 AM   #137

Hi Darkwing,

Tried the link 7 times but to no avail. Just comes back with the download error at the bottom of the page. I have 8mb broadband here but I think there might be a problem with my router allowing access.

Can you help at all?

Thanks

Adam
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:50 AM   #138

Did you get to type in a code number? You might have to download it from another pc.
darkwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 1:37 PM   #139

Hi,

Got it from somewhere else.

Thanks

Adam
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:21 AM   #140

It is a happy day for me.

I trythe hole day to put the fw into my camera and nothing works.

But i find an other solution to delete the f*** message A90from my display.

I follow the steps:

1) Make sure that the battery is fully charged

2) Switch the camera off and then press 'MENU'+'FlashIcon' whilst switching it on again

3) Note what the screen said (in case of further problems)... mine said:

Firm:03.09.18.20.17

LD: 1.45

MI:19

4) Press MF twice and then RightArrow twice and then MENU - this should bring up the secret menu

5) Select ROM UPDATE from the menu and press OK

6)Select SYSTEM INITIAL from the next menu and press OK twice.

7) Switch Off

Now i start it again WITHOUT my SD-Card (Menue and ON) and the display ask me which kind of battery, time blabla..

I click a few times ok and the camera works.

oneonly problem left:

every time when i start the camera, i must do the procedure again (Time, Battery etc.). It can be possible, that is the real reason for this problem. A inside-battery with a defect. But i`m not sure.

I hope, this informations are interesting for you and sorry for my bad english. I`m from germany and my school-time is very long ago.

Taps
Taps is offline   Reply With Quote