Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:33 PM   #41

Seems like this A90 bug is very common to all optio users. Has anybody tried reaching Pentax for this? I don't think they give a damn about this. None of their sites offer any help on the error whatsoever.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Just like everybody else, im not setting an eye on Pentax again.
benleyuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:53 AM   #42

Hi all, I purchased my Pentax over two years ago, 3 days after the warranty expired I got the A90 error. Pentax wanted £90 just to look at the Camera.

In the end I bought myself another camera, a Sony cybershot. Although it's ok and does the job I much preferred my Pentax.

After finding this forum I decided to give it a try. After a lot of button pushing and frustration I finally found the 'secret menu' and followed phelins instructions.

Now I'm stuck and don't know what to do next as I am a camera and PC numpty.

First of all I don't know what an SD card is. Do I just plug my camera into the PC and switch it on. Sorry to sound so stupid. Any help gratefully received.

Cheers, Lesley
lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:17 AM   #43

Yo he conseguido arreglar mi optio S haciendo lo que deciais, lo intente mil veces y no meiba, pero al final probe con la bateria llena y funciono!!!

El problema lo tengo ahora con una camara de un amigo, su firmware es el 1.01 y no consigo actualizarlo. No encuentro por ninguna parte una version mas moderna.

Alguien ha podido actualizar esta version???

Gracias
Punsita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 7:21 AM   #44
MUA

Hi All,

I have the S4 and it too decided to give me the error a90 after 18 months. The way it died is quite similar to what happened to you Benleyuy.I have tried to download the firmware but I seem to be stuck there and cannot proceed. I thought I'd try my luck at downloading the S version rather than have a 'dead' camera, so will let you know benleyuy if it works.

Lesley-theSD (secure digital)card is the memory card the pentax s series use.
MUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 11:27 AM   #45

Okay, so an update for you all on my situation....I wrote a letter to Pentax Canada and spoke to the VP, explaining how the repairs were a ridiculous amount and that they'd had my camera for three months. He said they could reduce the repair amount in half.

Thenafter several discussions, I find out that they "lost" my camera anyways! I wouldn't be surprised if they had just repaired it and resold it to someone else. The VP then acts like he's trying to do me a favour by saying they'll send my a refurbished S5 model(newer model). I told him I would not accept a used camera, since itwas probably in for the same reasons I had originally sent my camera in for! I ended up getting a brand new S4 model delivered to my home the next business day after a lot of complaining..

I encourage people to speak up and try to fight the crappy Pentax system! They don't seem to value their customers enough! I'm sure the new S4 I have will only last 1-1 1/2 half years, with the a90 error appearing again. However, it feels really good to know I fought Pentax and finally got a fair response(only d/t them losing my camera).
natsiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 12:46 AM   #46

Same problem here: A90 error.
I been unable to access the secret menu or do a firmware update. I did once get the firmware update screen to appear (MENU + POWER ON) but it only stayed on the screen for a few seconds and good old A90 reappeared. I have owned 3 Optio S cameras, which are great to put in your pocket and carry with you, being so small and light weight. All 3 cameras have experienced the A90 error! Pentax customer services is a complete joke, as they offer no service what so ever. No reply to any of my emails or letters. Reading the Pentax site, there is a section relating to Optio S and the rest of the Optio range stating a free firmware check up (when the warrenty is still good!). Seems strange they would want to look at that particular range, the Optio's. Pentax probably do have a problem with this range of cameras but of course would never admit to this.
Much prefer my Sony W1, yeah a bit bigger and heavy but at least the thing works, instead of being a paperweight, which is all my Optio is good for.

Does anyone have any info about the small button battery inside the Optio S. Took mine apart and it's just above the four way switch. Would guess it's to hold the memory when the battery is out of the camera and being charged??

DreeM
DREEMTHEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:52 PM   #47

I also just rec'd A90 error - 2 years and 4 months after purchase. Trying to follow the steps to fix and still have A90 error. I have a couple of question to confrim if I am doing it correct....
1) found secret menu and did system initialize but it never said "complete" came back to black screen and A90 error after process ( I thnk this is my main problem in the steps outlines)...

2) I have copied fwdc110.bin to my SIM card when it was connected to my computer

3) Then I turned camera off, disconnected from computer

4) tried to power on with menu button and I get VER 1.0....then A90 ?????

Anyone - bin there done that and then got it to work?

I would hate to fork out another bunch of cash to buy a new camera if not needed.

I love that this forum exists. Would love anyones help.

LMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:59 PM   #48

I have also just rec'd A90 error - 2 years and 4 months after purchase.

Trying the steps outlined to correct. When I find secret menu and do system initialize - nothing tells me it is complete? Just black screen that eventually say A90 again???

Any one else with this issue? have you gotten past it?

So - I feel confident that I have the fwdc110.bin file on my sim card - but not sure if I am running the program correctly. could be that I just never initialized correctly? So I hit power and Menu and get VER 1.00 on my screen followed by A90??

Any one have any suggestions?

Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:00 PM   #49

Old Dec 11, 2005, 1:45 PM   #50

hallo,
can you help me to find the file fwdc110p.zip? i think it´s to olf to download oh the pentax website.
i need it. i have the same error code A90 :-(

regards georg
xeni2 is offline   Reply With Quote