Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jun 12, 2005, 6:31 PM   #1

Has anyone else seen this problem? Seems like it is probably related to a dead battery issue, but we have put in several sets of brand new batteries and it refuses to respond. Strongly suspect it needs to go back to mfr, but wonder if anyone has suggestion on a fix first? Thanks, Bob
bschlichting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:01 PM   #2

Was in Kauai, Hawaii taking pictures in Waimea Canyon with my S-40 when the camera seized up (lens wouldn't move, buttons wouldn't respond). That was the first time that had happened, and it had to happen there. I removed the SD card and the camera would then respond to commands; the batteries were ok. I lost 100+ shots on my 512mb SD card until I later found a utility to recover them. It seems the S-40 corrupted the mem card. Since I couldn't reformat the card in the unresponsive camera, I put the card in a card reader and used the computer to reformat the SD memory card. The camera now responded to the card and I reformated it again with the S-40's format command. All worked well after that, at least for a while.

This is my long-winded way of asking if you've tried taking out the SD card. My son had a Optio S-50 and had the same experience (during his honeymoon in St. Lucia). We've both returned our Optios to Costco; I've bought a Sony DSC-V3 and he's still shopping. I suggested he try a 750z but he's lost confidence with the Optio line...can't blame him. To finish the story, my S-40 messed up again, this time at his wedding. That was the last straw. But if he gets married again, I'll be ready with my Sony.

Good luck!

-RSee
RSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:01 AM   #3

bschlichting wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone else seen this problem? Seems like it is probably related to a dead battery issue, but we have put in several sets of brand new batteries and it refuses to respond. Strongly suspect it needs to go back to mfr, but wonder if anyone has suggestion on a fix first? Thanks, Bob
What type of battery are you using? If they are not high capacity nimh rechargables, then you will have problems. Normal throw away batteries will not work in these cameras.
rjm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:45 AM   #4

Happened to me too.

Casually taking pictures, the camera froze while sutting down. Taking batteries out and so forth worked but the problem reappeared regurlarly till it permenantely bugged. I could only turn on, where the lens would come half way out and stay there or retract and the camera automaticaaly shut off.

Sent it back to pentax, where they said there was snad damage. I did not know just by walkin in the sand would break the camera!!! ( I walked once in the sand with my camera). Anw, pentax charged 100+$ to get it fixed. As I received it (2 months later !!), put good recharged batteries in, SAME problem!! As if the never fixed it!

Plus, calling pentax, I always got some morons who were unable to speak english or were uncomprehensible due to their bad accent and language!Kinda pathetic.

This was the first and las time I buy/deal with pentax.
drovoks is offline   Reply With Quote