Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:22 PM   #1

I'm looking at these two cameras and i dont know which to choose. Here are pluses of each

Optio S5i

-action mode

-burst mode (even though its slow, its better than nothing)

-color tones and sliming feature

Exilim EX-50

-larger screen

-more scenes (like fireworks)

-better flash(better indoor and night photos)

they both use the SMC 3x Pentax lens, so im guessing the quality is about the same

they are both really small, so size isnt a factor

and they are both about the same price.

can someone please help
afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:32 PM   #2

The Pentax flash is rated at ISO200. They don't say what the Casio is rated at. Casios don't generally go over ISO 100 in auto ISO, so its possible the flash is as strong. That is one of the things I wish reviewers could regularly test.

Casio uses its internal memory well. You can put custom scene modes and it shows a picture to remind you what the conditions were that you set it for – at least my Z750 does that with the custom modes. I'm guessing you can also put 354 X 240 favorites in the camera memory so you can view or show your favorite shots on the LCD. As long as you don't format the camera with the card removed all that stuff stays in the permanent memory. And you can put lots of stuff there since the thumbs are small.

I don't find I use scene modes much. I get the picture right and then tweak it in an image editor if I think it needs something.

The Casio LCD is larger but has the same number of pixels. If your near vision is good you can probably see just as much on the Pentax. My near vision isn't so great and I appreciate a large LCD.

Best quality JPGs are about 1Mb larger on the Pentax. That usually gives a little better quality but fills the card with fewer photos. The 2.5Mb best quality on the Casio is a good quality compression, so you wouldn't see a lot of difference.

That kind of camera is all about being small. The Pentax will fit in an Altoids tin. Some people line it with tape or something and actually use that as a carry case. I wish I had done that. I cracked the LCD on my S4 and it wasn't worth repairing. I think I would probably choose the Pentax just because of size.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 2:05 AM   #3

For just a little more, you can get the Pentax S5n with a 2" display. I would take that one into consideration as well.
HappyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:38 AM   #4

why not new S5Z?

http://www.pentaximaging.com/product...section--optio

640x480 30fps mpeg-4 video, af assist, 2.5 lcd

although the "z" will not fit into altoids can. I saved an empty tin until camera arrival, barely misses fit in height.

skipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:30 PM   #5

ive read numberous (dozens) of reviews, and the s5n and s5x didnt so as well
afro_ninj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:51 PM   #6

did you mean "x" or "z"? I search all review sites daily awaiting an official review of the "z", can you direct me to one of (or a few) of the ones you mentioned. I have read the "i" and "n" reviews. thanks
skipp is offline   Reply With Quote