Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:46 PM   #1

Anyone with SVi (brand new) experience, espec. whether the shutter lag has been improved?
bm196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2005, 8:26 AM   #2

Am also curious about the SVi. Saw it on one of the Eurpoean cam sites, but isn't on the Pentax site. Like the SV, but some of the more current features with the zoom would be nice.

Also, is it a US issue or not?

Rushski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:44 AM   #3

It was apparently meant to be released in the UK in June but as yet I don't know of anywhere that has it. My local camera shop has been expecting it for weeks. I am very interested in it due to the 5x zoom, manual controls and optical viewfinder. Anybody had the chance to use one yet?
james_wilbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4
kuh

I've bought one a week ago and I'm happy with it. I'm not familiar with the shutter issue from the previous model, what was wrong with it?
kuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:36 AM   #5

Could you give me a rough idea of the 'off to record' time and the shot to shot times (with and without flash). Also, how does the AF perform? Is it quick to focus, especially in low light? Any kind of review that you could give would be great, maybe some test shots as well? Where did you get it from?

Thanks in advance

James
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:03 AM   #6
kuh

It starts quite quickly, so you can make a shot after about 4 seconds, I'll try to measure it when I'm back home. Autofocus performs good in low light (for me, I have no camera to compare it with - when it misses the focus you can always use the manual one). What I miss is a longer shutter speed - the maximum is 4 seconds. You can see some test shots at http://kuh.byxonline.com/pics/brum1 (resized) and http://kuh.byxonline.com/pic/kazz/ (full sized) - sorry, they arent professional

Bought it on kelteccameras.co.uk.

Regards
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:19 PM   #7

4 seconds seems pretty slow compared to other ultra-compacts, such as the s5z and the Canon Ixus 50 which have startup times of around 1.5 seconds. How many f-stops are there at both wide and telephoto zoom? what are the aperature ranges? Is there not a long-shutter option that will take the shutter speed above 4 seconds? What about the overall build quality and finish, photo quality etc. It's a pity there aren't any good UK review sites and forums because the SVi is only available in Europe. Sorry for all the questions, there may be more to come!

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2005, 2:00 PM   #8
kuh

Yeah, just the startup takes about 2 seconds, but after 5-6 secs the photo is done. There are more specs available on http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05...pentax_svi.asp
Cant find the long time shutter option you mentioned. The image quality seems fine for me, but I'm just a beginner
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:32 AM   #9

Some questions:

1. Except for re-design of the case, any other real functional improvements over SV?

2. Still the well-known shutter lag, and shot-to-shot interval of SV? There seemed to be quite conflicting info about the shutter lag: Pentax FAQ website said 0.067sec, but somebodies in forums measured it to be 1sec.

3. How's the manual-focusing like? My Pentax 430RS would prevent you from setting aperture or shutter speed when manual focus, because THEY USE THE SAME UP/DOWN ARROW KEYS!!! VERY VERY INCONVENIENT IF YOU WANT TO USE MANUAL MODES!!!

4. By releasing SVi in UK or Europe ONLY, would that mean Pentax is NOT quite confident on it's quality to be sold world-wide? (I am Asian).
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:34 PM   #10

I am using Optio SV, very good!
leafalling is offline   Reply With Quote