Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:26 PM   #1

So I just bought this 3 days ago and took a few pictures. I used the default settings and the images came out looking very blurry around the edges. Is this the way this camera is for everyone, or did I buy a defective one? Any tips on taking decent pictures with this thing, or should I just return it?

I looked for people who might have had similar problems, but couldn't really find anything. I'll keep looking 'til I find anything that might correct this.
Redundant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:33 AM   #2

Welcome to the board.

All tiny cameras have a little corner softness, but I didn't find it detracted from any of my S4 images as there isn't usually anything there a little softness affects. Looking at Steve's samples it seems to have a little less than my S4 did, but I think it uses the same Pentax lens.

Steve did get a bad S4i or maybe S5i. It had softness on an entire edge. Pentax sent him a replacement and it was fine. Since it uses the same Pentax lens you might have the same problem. Several people with the S Pentax cameras had problems with several of the model numbers with that same thing, and the only solution was an exchange. Since it is probably a lens error I would think it would also apply to the Casio cameras that use the same lens.

Take a look at Steve's sample photos. If you have more corner softness than his shots or especially if you have any edge softness you might consider exchanging it.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...0_samples.html

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:26 AM   #3

Thank you for the welcome, and for the helpful comments. Looks like I'll be returning this thing for a Finepix E550. Here's a sample of this thing's work.

EDIT: I should mention that when I use the zoom, the blurriness is gone. The blurriness happens only when I use wide angle.
Attached Images

Redundant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:09 AM   #4

No way to get any idea from that photo. The camera seems to be focused on the dog's head and everything the same distance as his head doesn't look too bad. You get more elements at different distances at wide angle because you are getting more in the shot.

Take a picture of a scene that would focus at infinity and ignore anything you get in the field that is closeer to the camera. If the edge is very soft on distant objects with the center sharp and focused at infinity I would return it. You can expect some corner softness though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 3:00 AM   #5

I purchased two new Pentax Optio S50 cameras for my daughters. One of them broke the second time it was used (the telephoto lens stuck open) and Pentax would not fix it unless I paid almost $200.00 in repair costs, saying it was caused by abuse. Of the dozen or so cameras our extended family owns, the only ones to ever break were these two Pentax digital cameras.

I sent Pentax dozens of other identical complaints (where the telephoto lens jammed open) that I located on the Internet, however Pentax kept stating this was not a design flaw???? Someone is recommending a class action suit against Pentax. I will join in if they proceed.

The second camera has never taken a sharply focused photo since it was new, however Pentax stated that I would have to pay to have this repaired as the 1 year warranty had just elapsed.

THINK TWICE BEFORE PURCHASING ANY PENTAX PRODUCT.
Tom Fulcher is offline   Reply With Quote