Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Oct 28, 2005, 8:41 PM   #1

I currently have the option to purchase either a Pentax istDS or a Canon S2IS for the same price. I have BOTH cameras here with me now and am trying to figure out wich one to return. Why DO I need or anyone else need an SLR ??

I have ONLY taken in door tests so far and.................. The S2IS is MUCH better for in door low light shooting. The Pentax is dark and needs alot of light. I have ONLY tested the two under low in door lighting so far.

I'm STILL undecided !!
videosilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 4:37 PM   #2

I have been comparing cameras from internet reviews for the past year. I am new to digital cameras, having used a canon slr for years. However, I have not really used the slr to full potential as my needs did not demand it. But I used it a lot. I have read everything the internet and store magazines offer about the digital camera. I am like you in that I have been comparing entry level dslrs to the fixed lenses of similar price. I have also had an opportunity to try the canon s3is and found it to produce very nice results. But my best information comes from comparing the enlarged views of camera images on web sites like Steve's Digicams and www.dpreview.com. Their I discovered that the dslr always enlarges images better than the fixed lenses models. Since enlarged printing is important to me, I also need to know when an image quality difference that might be minor in a 4x6" image is going to be pronounced in the 20x24".

Things like hard highlights versus soft highlights and low detail in shadows are very obvious in the enlarged versions. So I quickly realized I need to purchase the dslr instead of the fixed lense, such as the s3is or s2is. In addition, half of my camera use will involve natural indirect indoor light. So I want to be sure the camera I order produces good results without the flash. The canon s3is did, but I feel I should get more from an entry dslr. So far the entry level digital slr reviews are saying yes, including the k100.

The K100 is priced similar to the fixed lense consumer cameras, but has the sensor and processing advantages of the dslr. I just discovered the k100 a couple weeks ago after focusing on nikon, canon, sony, and olympus. And I waiting for the reviews of the k10 pentax. I would suggest you compare the enlarged images and crops available through the expert reviews at Steve Digicam, DPReview, image resource, luminous landscape, to name a few. Their the reviews are thorough and allow you to see the same test images that they used to form their conclusions. And of course you cannot beat the really helpful advice on this forum.

chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 1:31 PM   #3

I faced this question when there was a few hundred dollars difference between the two models and went with the DS, so I see this initially as a no brainer. Having said that, if you're not interested in the complexity or the acquisitioning of multiple lenses associated with SLR, then the s2is would be easier to deal with.

Then again, having said that, with the DS, it has enough "auto" modes so you don't have to think, effectively making it like a p&s. Also, if you want only one lens, there are a few decent ones for $200 or less that could cover a zoom range similar to the s2is.

I don't know what low light (iso) capability the s2is has, but have you tried all the iso levels on the DS? It has ISO 200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200. Some would argue it is one of better selling features of the DS, comparing well (superior) against similar models from Nikon or Canon. I would find it hard to believe that a p&s could outperform any SLR in low light conditions. Of course, you can always use the flash too. Some comments about exposure: DS tends to underexpose at EV = 0. I find that EV = 0.3 or 0.7 gives nice exposures for most cases. When using a flash, boosting "flash exposure compensation" helps. In warm low light conditions, the DS can give pictures that look a little too yellow/orangish. Either using manual white balance, or changing it to "tungsten" will produce better results.

Of course, with the DS you'll get 6 MP instead of the 5 MP pf the s2is. I figure you're aware of most of the spec differences. One thing you might not want to overlook is the ease of use of an SLR. they all are fast and snappy. point & shoots tend to have lots of lag when you turn it on or between taking pictures and I'm thinking the vast majority don't have burst shooting capability. I have heard complaints regarding how slow the s2is can be between shots or how waiting for the flash takes ages, but I've never used it myself. In any case, the DS is a pleasure to use, and that can often determine how willing you are to use it regularly.
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 1:34 PM   #4

I noticed the dates looked funny then realized the first post was 2005! I guess I wasted my time.
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote