Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Pentax

Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:50 AM   #1

Hi!

I've got a Pentax WPI which won't turn on. It worked fine last night but this morning won't turn on.

When I press the power button the LCD lights up (no picture) and then beeps 4 times and then turns off within a second or so.

I tried to play around with the buttons by pressing menu then turning it on which then gives me the wallpaper OPTIO and then shows camera mode for about 1 sec, beeps 4 times and then turns off.
I've tried changing both the battery and SD cards for fresh ones.

Has anyone heard of this problem or know any way around it?

I'm currently on holidays in VN which makes things even worse so I'm unable to take it into a repair centre.

Thanks!
xdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 8:08 PM   #2

I've got the Pentax Wp which is the predecessor to the Wpi , so they shouldn't be too different. In the "Operating Manual" under "Troubleshooting" there are only three reasons why "camere will not turn on" . 1:Battery is not installed, 2:Battery is installed incorrectly, 3: Battery power is low. Going by what you're saying it doesn't sound like any of the above, but i thought that i'd let you know anyway since you might not have your operating manual with you.

Mine has never done that and i've never heard of any other person having that problem.

I looked under the Pentax worldwide service network and there's an address for Venezuela : Foto Union C.A. Av. F de Miranda, Torre, Dozsa Piso 11, Urb el Rosal, Caracas. Phone: 58-2-952-00-66/2940

Pentax in the U.S. (Colorado)is 1-800-877-0155

Pentax Canada inc. : 1-905-286-5590

I hope this helps.
Loupgarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:18 PM   #3

Sorry to tell ya but I had the same exact problem and when you take it in they will tell you impact damage and its not covered under warranty ($200 later).but with my case it was never dropped or mistreated. So we should have obviously gone with a different camera because Pentax is not going to stand by there products or there warranty!!!
jbaker0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 7:17 PM   #4

I have the exact same issue. Was working fine then one day it won't turn on except as noted above. The camera is less then 2 months old. Any idea what they did for the $200 repair job? If this is suppose to be an underwater sports camera it has to beable to take a little abuse!....
Theboathse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:17 AM   #5

xdevil wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

I've got a Pentax WPI which won't turn on. It worked fine last night but this morning won't turn on.

When I press the power button the LCD lights up (no picture) and then beeps 4 times and then turns off within a second or so.

I tried to play around with the buttons by pressing menu then turning it on which then gives me the wallpaper OPTIO and then shows camera mode for about 1 sec, beeps 4 times and then turns off.
I've tried changing both the battery and SD cards for fresh ones.

Has anyone heard of this problem or know any way around it?

I'm currently on holidays in VN which makes things even worse so I'm unable to take it into a repair centre.

Thanks!

Mine has been doing the same. It works when it wants to and it does this also (at the most inappropriate moments).

When it does chose to actually work, there is no flash, and i cant get a flash to work (the flash symbol wont change).

I dont know what to do, short of taking it some place and spending money I dont currently have.

Can anyone help?

-Isabella
isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:17 AM   #6

Hi
I know for some pentax ther is a secret menu, where you can do
a "system initial" to restore the camera, and then load the new
firmware. I don't know if there is such a menu in the WPi.
perhaps someone else knows.
ante32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:36 PM   #7

The WPI is a piece of rubbish - it was supposed to be waterproof and all, but after we dipped it in some water, and dried it, the camera failed the next day.

Be careful - even though it was claimed to be waterproof - Pentax does not repair water damage ? Cost a huge $470 AUD and was just a piece of hyped up junk.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote